MaxFavorite: AN-2/3T (Colt) a Bi-Plane "Truck" still in production and flown WW" (Video- "comment 2 "Warzone"article)

MaxSez: 60 + Years of Production and still rolling off the Antonov production line. The An-2 (Colt) is a Soviet era mass-produced single-engine “biplane” utility aircraft designed and manufactured by the Antonov Design Bureau beginning in 1946. It’s been mission modified over the year on the original airframe. The latest major modification was in the early 1990’s with the introduction of the Turboprop version the AN-3T with its distinctive pointed nose and reconfigured cockpit containing advanced avionics. Production on a mass scale continues with a WW customer base particularly in the 3D world. The Colt is a beast of burden, tough as nails and ez to fly. Military versions of this craft designated as TD model (Para configured) are widely used by the Russian Paratroop Regts., Spetznaz (SOF) and North Korea’s Air Force as a general purpose prime mover and extensively by NK Paratroop and Commando elements in the hundreds. (See the following article) I can’t do this aircraft justice here. I suggest you read the Wike on the AN-2/3 particularly it’s unique performance Characteristics and incredible engineered " Leading Edge Slat System" which tops the para recovery systems on some modern GA and its on board wheel “Air Pump”! The list of Country’s that Fly the Colt and its configurations places this Bi-Plane in the Guinness Book of Records!
I’d like to see this multi-purpose Tail Dragging Bi-Beast in the inventory for Global down in the dirt touring sake. She’s no stranger anywhere she fly’s except the states today where she a novelty and an air-show attraction. (I flew as a Pax on a civil Pontoon Colt on a guided fishing trip out of Wainwright, AL back in the day, a basic Tin Lizzy, a study basic bird)

General characteristics. (An-2)

Crew: 1–2
Capacity: 12 passengers
Length: 12.4 m (40 ft 8 in)
Wingspan:
Upper wing: 18.2 m (59 ft 8 in)
Lower wing: 14.2 m (46 ft 7 in)
Height: 4.1 m (13 ft)
Wing area: 71.52 m² (769.8 ft²)
Empty weight: 3,300 kg (7,300 lb)
Useful load: 2,140 kg (4,700 lb)
Loaded weight: 5,440 kg (12,000 lb)v
Powerplant: 1 × Shvetsov ASh-62IR 9-cylinder supercharged radial engine, 750 kW (1,000 hp)
Performance
Maximum speed: 258 km/h (139 kn, 160 mph)
Cruise speed: 190 km/h (100 kn, 120 mph)
Stall speed: ~50 km/h (26 knots, 30 mph)
Range: 845 km (456 nmi, 525 mi)
Service ceiling: 4,500 m (14,750 ft)
Rate of climb: 3.5 m/s (700 ft/min)
Power/mass: 0.136 kW/kg (0.083 hp/lb)
(AN-3T
Performance
Maximum speed: 260 km/h (162 mph; 140 kn)
Cruise speed: 220 km/h (137 mph; 119 kn) at 2,000m (6,560ft)
Range: 550 km (342 mi; 297 nmi) with a 1,500kg (3,300lb) payload
Service ceiling: 4,400 m (14,400 ft)
Rate of climb: 5 m/s (980 ft/min)
Wing loading: 81 kg/m2 (17 lb/sq ft)
Power/mass: 0.174kW/kg
(Source: Data/Wiki-Photo: Airliners.Net, copyright fee paid)
Comment Footnote;
(1). Photo AN-3T (Turbo) (2). “War Zone” Article. “One of NK’s most dangerous weapons the AN-2”

**No votes to trade in, this one would get 2 or 3!

IMG_0723

AN-3T (Turbo) Photo: Public Domine)

Comment 1

1 Like

Comment 2

2 Likes

Don’t forget to vote for your own topic! ;)

@PixelToast… Pickey Pickey… pls read the “Entire Text” young man. Gooday

5 Likes

CNN did a version of this story, sadly it was my first time noticing this bird. It’s like the banger pickup truck in the sky, all work no show. I want one.

1 Like

Still in production? Wow, seems so old…

2 Likes

@Aussie_Wombat… “Seems so old”… Old is a state of mind my Aussie Friend.
I was 6 years old when this “Old” bird first came off the line. Me & she are still going strong. Hoping you should live long enough to see the “Elephant” as I have!. Eventually I’ll find that pot at the end of the rainbow! Cheers

3 Likes

6 years old when it came off the line!?!? Wow Max so cool to have a member like you on our community.

2 Likes

Yes please :)

Absolute classic of an airplane, probably as iconic as the DC-3 is in the West :)