MaxFacts: Rackem & Stackem at Heathrow. (Video)

13 Likes

That’s quite a mind job, previously I had no idea how busy Heathrow is. Thanks for sharing.

2 Likes

The holding patterns are right on top of my house.

3 Likes

when 09L is the active for arrivals in the morning I can see them lining up when I take the dog out for the morning walk.

3 Likes

Same here, when I take my dogs out aswell lol.

2 Likes

It’s cool how busy it is. The landing path/one of the holds for 27R/L (can’t remember which) is right over my dads house. He takes a photo of my aircraft every time I fly in (if he can). It’s pretty cool 🙂

3 Likes

27L or 09L are the ones normally used for landing at Heathrow…keeps things nice and easy to remember I guess…L is for Landing, A is for Apple…etc ;-)

3 Likes

Actually all 4 runways are available if needed. 09L is very rarely used as a departure runway but 27L and 27R are alternated as the departure and arrival runways every day.

Heathrow has applied for mixed mode operation but hasn’t received approval. The only time you’ll see mixed mode (arrival and departure from the same runway) is when the airborne holding times exceed 20 minutes.

4 Likes

Indeed. I believe we held for 25 minutes at the very least while flying in a couple of weeks ago. Landed on 9R during the evening arrival rush. Super busy! I could see four or five others in our hold alone with all the strobes flashing.

2 Likes

thanks @Yuan_Tugo, I didn’t realise that they alternated the use of them, thought it stayed constant. However now that you have said it, it does sound familiar! Guess its spread the load evenly on the wear and tear on the runway itself?

2 Likes

Lol they switch at 3pm if they’re using 27s though. 09R is rarely used for landing due to noise

3 Likes

It’s more that 09L is not used for takeoffs due to noise rather than noise restrictions on landing on either 09L or 09R. Takeoff from 09L would overfly a the area of Cranford where as takeoffs from 09R don’t affect as many people with noise.

The runway alternation plan is here btw if anyone is interested:

http://www.heathrow.com/noise/heathrow-operations/runway-alternation#

1 Like

Lmao nerd (good to know tho)

1 Like

People that complain about noise really grind my gears, though. Like they decided to live next to an Airport what do they except lol.

There is a set of criteria for landing on the designated departure runway somewhere (sorry can’t find it atm). I think ideally for arrivals to t4 and the cargo area the controllers like to land on 27L to save the long taxi and runway crossing, but I wasn’t sure if that requires a minimum holding time before it can be done.

Also the controllers at LHR I have spoken to are not terribly convinced mixed mode would produce very big capacity improvements. As you know with two runways either side and segragrated arrivals and departure, LHR taxing operates almost like a big roundabout with good flows off the take off runway to the terminals, and from the terminals to the departure runway. Throw in mixed mode and all of a sudden the ground flows become a lot more complex to manage and you actually reduced the taxing capacity. Anyway, it’s what I have been told and it seems to make some sense :)

Lol. Am more of a geek than a nerd :)

1 Like

now that’s something I would like to see take place by IFATC, will keep everyone on their toes!

1 Like

The optimization that NATS has done to make sure the runways are operating at 97% capacity is incredible. There is no other centre in the world that has done what NATS has done at LHR.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.