MaxFact: UPDATE; Video added!! VHXX(KAI TAK) “Checkerboard” Approach Plates. Ya need the “Right Stuff”

MaxSez: This is a Historic World Famous Checkerboard Approach Plate Grouping which includes the recovery routes to the infamous #13. Only the skilled need apply. (Note: This Field has been Closed. It remains IF active as a Skill Test)

27 Likes

I would like to apply max, when we making the run in?

1 Like

@THE-OP… How are you, hope your well. Delaying that Checkerboard go till I get Global Nav streight… Will set a date probably in early Nov, now building a personal route inventory can’t abide trash hauler routes want to visit where I served worldwide. Hoping to fly the old USAAF WWII TransAtlantic in a Van with another Guy. Hope to use the Gander, Greenland/Iceland,Preswick Gateway:

IMG_1895

Interested? Early 2018 go…

10 Likes

Im in as well. Just ring me up when ready

1 Like

I look forward to trying Kai Tak. For those of you who would like to fly to a real airport with a similar procedure, MHTG (Toncontin) in Honduras also involves a tight turn near the runway threshold. The main differences are mountains instead of buildings, and a smaller runway. (fyi @anon2063420 :) DLVA route out of ATL). Chart is here:
IMG_0534

5 Likes

@Cpt_Chris… “Your the other guy”, We’ll be talkin “ Legacy Flight” soon.

Regards, Max

2 Likes

Its a hell of a plan we got, Legacy flight will be awesome!

1 Like

What about me Chris :(

Sounds like a blast! I’m down when you get started!

1 Like

I’m down for this! Sounds fun.

2 Likes

I remember this well, a ‘proper’ approach. Always fun to look at the sunbathers on the top of the buildings in Kowloon as you banked for the landing runway. You’d be amazed how quick that checker board used to come up at you. It was usually covered in spotters with cameras. Trespassing for sure but they did come up with some great shots!

It was a shame when they shut Kai Tak. Oh well, time moves on and it shows just how old and cantankerous I’ve become! ;)

5 Likes

I’m most definitely interested in this. I actually plan to make a flight in this weekend to test myself. Just waiting for the live flight update, my joystick is currently inoperable.

1 Like

MaxSez: Vintage Video but it gives you a. RW prospective;

6 Likes

Just gave the approach plate a test run. I cant imagine how hard that must have been IRL!

3 Likes

@KevinMc88. MaxSez: If This was a contest you would have won the laurels!
Good Show, BZ, Well Done! Here’s a Flag set for your I lov me book:

IMG_1517

7 Likes

It’s finally time to try this one out! Filed, charts prepped, and ready to start this historic flight in the Northwest Airlines B747-200 out of Minneapolis.

17 Likes

Make sure you post a video of the landing so we can learn a thing or two!

3 Likes

He did… just scroll up a few messages.

2 Likes

I was referring to Tyler

6 Likes

I screen recorded my approach earlier this morning

8 Likes