MaxCritique: Regional Event; Review FLORIDA Wkly Poll Event

MaxReviews: Let me critique last Sundays Wk#2 FLORIDA/MIAMI GO!: Fla is my RW home turf, I know it well… Great IFATC coverage at Tampa, Palm Bch, Miami & SW Florida Int. Almost all position where covered at these field. I flew them all in a Caravan & Baby Bus from 1300 to 1600Q. A little disappointed since the IFATC choose only “B” fields again even though the continuing popular demand is for a bit of diversification. I think IFATC’'s love for “B” is related to their phobia of VFR operations, a skill they rarely use or practice. (That’s another Topic). Full ATF position coverage with Ground/Tower/Departure & Approach made the journeys realistic and professionally handled. There may have been a Center in Operation but I did’t hear or see them active in the Comm menu, plus flew below FL 090 most of the time in the Bus and FL 035 in the Van. Lotta Conga Line Approach Line ups, did’t see one Hold or Stack all day. Approaches were busy rounding up the herd who continue to fly en-route Shotgun Plans (only approx 75% of Grade 5’s filed, not good airmanship) at some point hopefully FDS will require the use of Airways for Trash Haulers. That lines those fat buggers up in nice evenly separated and spaced lines inbound and by the “book”, Approaches work load and Flow Control would then become more “workman” like if implemented. That’s my Take on the Organized IF Wkly Aerodrome EXP Lottery for last Sunday Event #2. Let’s see what #3 hold…

One last thing, I had a First last week, after many, many IF Flight Hours, a hot shot IFATC put me into a “Holding Pattern” in a baby bus inbound Hilo, WOW!. Been told a few use this Flow Control Procedure, Good Show! We need to see this procedure and short Rwy use by GA & regionals used more often at “B’s” to brake the Conga Lines. Gooday.

14 Likes

Couldn’t agree more, Max! Great topic!

1 Like

I would have to agree with you, Max. It is my hope that our controllers will be able to at least attempt controlling smaller fields as time goes on- staying with Bs does not make you weak or substandard.

This theme also explores an interesting aspect of the human psyche. I wonder if some refuse to do nothing but bravos because they want to prove their ability or to only have to worry about processing IFR and have an excuse for restricting VFR. Not saying that any do, but it’s something to think about.

When global comes, there should be no excuse to find your favorite C or D and try it out often. I know FWA will be mine- come have a visit when you can. :)

3 Likes

@JoshFly8 MaxSez: Never intended to imply “Weak or Substandard” I as you recognize the human condition. When you’ve gained confidence and proficiency it easer to continue on in a line of work by rote. Controlling and Flying is not an Assemble Line style endeavor, it’s ever changing, challenging and mentally demanding. It appears to me that some younger IFATC have not fully grasped the responsibility of their trade, after all their not pushing real iron.
Leadership has to push the envelope and round the group out. One thing I’d do
Is establish a rotation system. When their ready and proficient and trusted at a"B" and controlling Conga Lines send them to the minors for a rotational tour.
Don’t let them back to a “B” till they can proficiently working IFR & VFR Ops.
The Trash Haulers lov those “B”, but they need to broaden there horizon to, let most of them land them heavies in 7500’ feet or less. IF is a school house, push the skill sets, the gamers will fall by the wayside. Good riddance. Regards

3 Likes

I’ve racked my mid what is the bus? @Maxmustang I’ve probably heard of it just forgot…lol

1 Like

Airbus a318 is the one that’s nicknamed the baby bus

2 Likes

Oh, yeah that makes since.lol

2 Likes

Well stated Max! Holding pattern is scarcely used by ATC and I do agree some variety is in order. Cant tell you how many times I have flown in FL region hoping to fly to other controlled airports that are not Tampa and Miami for the most part.

2 Likes

I have mixed feeling about this.
1- I don’t really care, as I mostly fly "trash haulers"
2- I do agree that sometimes it is better to open ATC in some Cs and Ds. It gets quite boring when SoFlo is active and all you’ve got is Tampa and Miami.
3- When I so fly say a C208, I enjoy the fact that there is no ATC. It gives me “freedom”. I can just be cruising and turning doing my thing and see an airport I want to land on, and I do. No ATC giving me any instructions.

Interesting to hear your take on IFATC opening mostly B airports. Personally, I often open Bs because that’s where most of the traffic is. It’s painful to sit at a class C or D* airport and watch traffic zip by to larger airports. Also, approach and departure frequencies are almost exclusively opened at class B airports. Coordinating with an approach and departure controller here is a lot of fun, provides a good experience for the pilots, and keeps things organized.

That said, just the other day I had an aircraft flying patterns at a large class B airport. It was a ton of fun working them in between the “trash haulers”. As a GA fan myself, I’m going to try and open more Cs and Ds and see if more GA aircraft show up.

*Airport Classes: For anyone on the newer end of aviation, airports are divided up into classes based on size. Bravo is the biggest, Delta is the smallest (in terms of towered airports). On the IF map, these are denoted by the number of rings of airspace around them. Bravo has 3, Charlie 2, and Delta 1.

@nicochile2. MaxSez: That’s a Gammers attitude in my opinion Nico. The beauty of this simulator is its “live” ATC feature! That’s revolutionary and the type and physic ain’t that bad. You can wonder around and/or listen to recorded ATC in a few other so called aviation Sim available from the APP store. Some a extremely complex and you just have to listen to the members who quite “Them” and joined us. For example They are not phone compatible and in the one I started with in it takes you 10 minutes to light the fire and hours to learn switcholighy before you request push back from a drone recorded ATC. So do your thing. Just remain with us, I like you! Regards

1 Like

You do have a point. But with global on the horizon, and hopefully a skyrocket in the use of GA in IF, it will be difficult to have ATC coverage. So, while we can, ATC should be everywhere! I will keep doing my thing. GA is nice once In a while, and I like that it is silent and no one is disturbing.

1 Like

@tomthetank. MaxSez: “If you build it they will come” remember that movie line Tom. Most Pilots flock to “B” cause that where live comm emanates from
the main draw of this fine platform agree or not. Have a “B” free week and monitor the flow to prove the point. As for working the slow movers into a single runway “B” Conga Line ymay be fun for you but it’s a challenge for the few light GA users, they know the truth there unwelcome during medium and hi Tempo ops. Can’t tell you how many time I’m been ignore or vectored to infinity from a Controlled “B”. Additional multi-runway “B” might as well be single runways. Most Controlling I’ve experienced rarely utilize the short ways for random GA and Regionals. Finally “B’s” are not practice fields allowing T&G’s by anyone during regular Op’s should be curtailed until the wee hours. Wanna work T&G’s go out to the bunedocks where they belong. In the RW bzy “B” are not practice fields. If I where sitting in the chair I would not except them except at 0 dark thirty. That my take on you comment and I’m sticking to it.
Want to counter, do it by PM. This is my last comment this thread.
Gooday Tom

(PS: PLS DO OPEN THOSE C’s & D’s)

Also enjoyed the home town SoFlo Action!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.