MaxAvSafety: Women loses Arm & Foot; Propeller Strike. Latest C172 see details)

I agree. We are not the smartest kids on the block. However, you see the spiny thing in the front of the plane, it clearly looks like a threat. That is where I face palm, we know its dangerous. But we choose the make that decision anyway.

1 Like

Could happen to anyone. It’s isn’t about being “smart” or not. Letting your guard down for a split in any potentially dangerous situation can result in accidents.

2 Likes

I understand that. But they obviously knew that it was dangerous. It just makes no sense to me.

1 Like

"mistakes " and “accidents” do happen in our daily life. Agreed.

Where do we draw the line though? This could’ve been a person’s life. What if 300 people died because of a “mistake”? Would we just blow that under the rug and chalk it up to… oh, well accidents happen". Sorry but this is taught to you within the 1st few hrs in training. For this to ha e happened is absolutely unacceptable.

2 Likes

Novel idea: don’t get near the prop while it’s moving.

Sure, I feel bad for her, but she’s an idiot for not listening to the pilot and using common sense

2 Likes

Aircraft carrier airmen are also taught not to stand in front of an engine when its in operation, but they have and have been sucked in. Here’s the source for it which you’ve most likely already seen.

Here’s an example of a sailor being struck by the propellers of an E-2c and died.
Here’s an example of a pilot walking into his aircraft propellers due to a brief lack of concentration and dies.
Here’s an example of a pilot walking into another planes propellers when going to get food for another pilot, however did not see the propellers of another aircraft and was struck.
Here’s an example when the planes propeller hit a passenger after the landing gear collapsed. He survived.

Stuff like this is extremely rare, as everyone is taught to be extremely careful and aware at all times when near live aircraft but incidents like this can still occur with someone taking the wrong turn or one step in the wrong direction.

My aviation tutor, who was an RAF engineer during the Falklands war, recounts the time one of his friends was sucked into an engine due to a terrible mistake which wasnt his fault. He sadly died. He also recounts another time an engineer walked through the propellers of a herc whilst concentrating on some paper in his hand but miraculously survived.

4 Likes

I get it, Hamza. Lack of situational awareness is not a mistake. It’s poor judgement or lack there off and in an aviation industry it will chew you up and spit you out.

I have been lucky on my side of my mistakes weren’t serious. No, I am not perfect, but when I am at work I do my best to be safe for myself and people around me.

This type of accidents happen in GA a LOT! A news source just put this to light. I used to instruct out of of my the busiest airports in the east coast and the south east and these types of accidents would happen once every two months. Gear ups (pilots fault) would be once a week. Easily.

5 Likes

Personally, I think we need to stop arguing and stop sharing videos of people dying. This is not the place to do that.

1 Like

Ouch, so sad.

1 Like

I can just imagine the pain of the woman. I have split my chin open, but having this, it must have been hell on Earth. However, we should be glad that it was her arm and foot, instead of her head or torso.

1 Like

Not something you want to say seeing how sensitive of an issue it is. There are times for jokes, this isn’t one of them.

2 Likes

I humbly disagree. This is a reality of aviation. Not everything in this industry is cotton candy and rainbows.

I know not everyone here wants to be a pilot and that’s fine, but for those that do need to know the risks involved and how serious this job is. If this happened to my FO or Captain you think I will be able to sleep at night? No. The sooner they realize this is a serious career with risks and rewards. The rewards out weigh the risks, but a lack of judgement could result in injury or even death. Sad reality, but it is what it is.

4 Likes

I agree with this, but I still think videos of people dying is still a bit too graphic for this forum.

2 Likes

It was not a joke in any way, shape, or form. However, before the mods shut this down for derailing so much. We should probably get back on topic. Death is in no way a good thing, and injuries as severe as these are horrible and life-changing. The poor woman may have made a decision that some would consider idiotic. And @Hamza.N I agree with you, but some things will drive a man crazy, this can be one. I think the takeaway from this is not to argue anymore about the stupidity of this idea. And I apologize for derailing it so much. We should think about how to be safer in the future so that this doesn’t happen to us. I think we should heed this as a warning, and not use it as an excuse to argue anymore. Yes, I know I started this. But now I am trying to stop it.

Trust me, this happens a lot. People are not the smartest, but as I stated above. This topic should be used as a warning and not an argument. Finally, think if you were in that situation. How would you feel if a bunch of people on a Flight Simulator forum was calling you stupid and whatnot? I think this is what @Maxmustang intended to show us.

2 Likes

The rampy getting sucked into the engine in this video was fake. You wouldn’t get sucked in that fast.

2 Likes

If you are in reference to the first source i noted, He survived with cuts and bruises. It could have ended much worse for him but in the video you can see him crawl back out. Only reason he survived was due to his helmet clogging the engine.

No other source contains any graphic material. I noted them to show the different scenarios.

4 Likes

It still may be graphic to some users. People have different tolerances of this type of stuff. It may be too graphic for some people, even if he survived.

2 Likes

Cited from the article, paragraph 3:

“The woman,identified as Rebecca Gray, followed him and was hit by the still-running propeller.”

The guy must have been shocked, sad and very sad

2 Likes

That changes things substantially. As I stated, we should all be careful of any spiny things. Anything can kill you, from A to Z.

Maybe a disclaimer for future posts then?

**** Click at your own risk ****

Just realized what the first post was in that site. Sorry not sorry. Lol

To be fair you have been warned lol

2 Likes