Max Sez; Automated Terminal Information System; ("Where's ATIS"?)

Max Sez; On July 1 2015 I wrote a Features Topic; "Where’s the Automated Terminal Information System (ATIS), I wondering what happened to the ATIS broadcasts that periodically emanated from Advanced Server “B” Towers at that time! After some heated Lounge & Forum discussion it was determined that the ATIS program was flawed, that Advanced Controller could not type, that adding the required data into the flawed program was to time consuming. FDS ATC Representatives assured us that the Program was to be made “Dummy” proof and reintroduced. Months have past and ATIS remains a spurious emission that failed just after the introduction of Live. I still miss ATIS! When in use it gave me a warm & fuzzy when I was on approach to a “B”. The arrival guidance was always welcome and reassuring. As I passed by a “B” enroute I’d could get a TAF which was also always welcome since no weather radars have been installed in the IF fleet to date. Initially I choose not to address this Topic on the main board but post it in the Lounge for Regular Review Only ( Revises 11/3/15 & moved to General). I don’t want ATIS to go the way of the Dodo!. Again I’d like my fellow members unemotional, cogent and professional assessment/opinions as to the need for ATIS broadcasts on our “maturing” ATC “Lash Up”. I believe ATIS is one of the most used informational tools and the jewel in the crown of the American Airspace Control System and that it should be reintroduced “Forthwith”. Accordingly, your thoughts Please.

45 Likes

Nice one Max!

4 Likes

I’d have to agree with you Max.

6 Likes

Nice one ! I agree with you :)

5 Likes

I ask about this all the time trust me. Tyler’s probably sick of hearing about it.

2 Likes

Max Sez.p: ATIS is a must have ATC enhancement… I don’t what this topic to just fade away again.

3 Likes

I thought Max left the community?

@hmkane… Max Sez; I’m retired from te Regular Ranks Mr. Harrison. I still monitor the Forum since I have a long term vested interested in IF’s legacy of excellence. The failure to reinstall ATIS is a symptom that should not be overlook. A fully implemented and integrated ATC System is a long term FDS goal that will never come to forition at this rate.The failure to field a complete Advance ATC Stucture with all its bells ect more than 18 months after its introduction is a travesty.

4 Likes

I agree. Maybe its because they can’t charge people $4.99 for ATIS so it gets pushed behind the money makers. Very depressing thought.

1 Like

Lol. We all expected landing smoke and now look where we are. I think the devs really are working on this, or at least plan to make it great, but you can’t rush perfection.

Harrison sez What if you become a regular?

1 Like

Then Max will flip out and go on a rampage.

3 Likes

Guys, keep on topic.

And Max, I fully agree with you. I remember Tyler told me it will be back in a while when it was removed. I miss ATIS alot, I must say.

Hope it will come back soon! Maybe @Tyler_Shelton could give some input in this thread on how it’s going with ATIS?

3 Likes

I’ll speak with the FDS team about this as it is an essential part of the system and would severely cut down on delays and nefarious request. The problem ensues with 95% of the controllers are not pilots or have never heard a real ATIS broadcast and don’t insert the information needed to make a informational broadcast. I still think it’ll be awhile as it has to go through a lot of hoops to get reinstated but I’ll mention it those in charge.

There have been improvements made in various other areas that will help you attain weather. Now the weather is displayed when clicking on an airport in metal and TaF form. The current field condition, VFR (green), marginal VFR (blue), and IFR(red) appear instantly when clicking on said airport.

2 Likes

I want ATIS back!
Then people know to wich runway they must taxi so they know how to pushback and you can create Your flightplan

3 Likes

@Thomas_Galvin… Max Sez: “You can’t rush profection”! LoL… Come on Tom your loyalty is commendable! But a reworked ATIS user friendly program was promised & not delivered a long time ago. Review the topics history to support my claim. Those who “Know” know that ATIS will be a great assist in culling out the “No Flight Plan” Approach Heard and sequencing -8’s into the high speed flow with there 90k approach speed. I can see it now, another PPPP Snafu

3 Likes

Max Sez: Now @DS2001 you know the Frenchmen don’t like shouting and the PC Mod’s are always looking for fresh meat so may I respectfully r quest that you edit your “Bold” Remark. There really is no need to stir up the snakes on this plane. But Do pass the word; Max Sez; “ATIS is coming, ATIS is Coming”!
LOL…

3 Likes

What’s ATIS ?

Have a re read of the original post which is explained very well by @Maxmustang. Also remember to check out the search function on this forum as well as other sources including Google ;-)

Happy flying.

4 Likes

Options are being explored as we speak IIRC.