Max Bank Angle for Crosswind landing

Does anybody know what a reasonable max bank angle would be for a crosswind landing in a 789? I am curious, I just landed in Cali. And it was a pretty gusty crosswind, my bank angle was 56 degrees. Is that acceptable?

Looking at the Ground Contact Angle charts for the 789 gives the following:

Wingtip and main gear simultaneous contact at 14 degrees roll with 7 degrees pitch up.
Trent pod strike and main gear contact at 13.2 degrees roll and 1.2 degrees pitch up.
Gnex pod strike and main gear contact at 12.6 degrees roll and 0.8 degrees pitch up.

So, yep at 56 degrees roll you’d be cooking the tips and the pods!!!

However, that pertains to the attitude in the flare at ground contact NOT the approach. Anything above 45 degrees will trigger a bank angle warning but what is necessary to keep the aircraft on the profile can be flown unless a go around is called for stability!

5 Likes

If only IF had a bank angle warning system in place…

1 Like

IF assistant on Appstore will do the trick, few in app payments needed for everything but worth it. add more realism to your flight & even does a safety demo while taxing to Runway

2 Likes

@epaga is the final VS bank angle for approach or landing on IF Operations? I dont feel like my bank angle was that steep but could have been 😊. I am brand new to the 789, it has a totally different flight characteristic then the A321.

Also I didn’t hear the bank angle warning go off, normally, RAAS did give me an “unstable” warning but I made the decision to continue at minimums considering I was on the training server learning crosswinds on the 789.

That Cali storm really is showing.

There is a lot more energy in a heavy. Anticipation and thinking ahead is needed to guide the aircrafts path.

If it all goes ‘pear shaped’ throw it away and go-around.

Practice makes perfect! :D

1 Like

Actually, the IF-O value is the maximum bank angle from throughout your entire flight. And that shouldn’t exceed at most 35°, otherwise you’d be hearing “BANK ANGLE, BANK ANGLE” screaming from your GPWS system (if you’re using IF-A, that is…) 😀

1 Like

Yep, I got IFA activated at all times, GPWS, RAAS, the whole bit 😁.

@Yuan_Tugo, that is surely true, this aircraft will take some time for me to learn.

1 Like

Note that IF-A implements the GPWS system according to spec, so the closer you are to the ground, the more sensitive it will be to warn “BANK ANGLE”. If you’re about to land, anything more than (I think) 10° should do it.

2 Likes

Ahha that is very comforting because I had a slip in mid-flight whereas auto heading was not engaged and the wind pushed us at a fairly steep angle (likely that 56 degree). (Hashtag Cali storm?)

No bank angle warning activated during approach or landing so I can now determine that it was an appropriate landing angle based on your information 😊.

1 Like

The real aircraft will ‘resist’ you turning the yoke above 30 degrees by increasing the force needed to turn the yolk, once you get ‘trending’ past 35 degrees it will warn you with the ‘Bank Angle’ call out.

Can be a pain in turbulence!!! :)

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.