Matt737 || IFATC Practice Tracking Thread || Closed

Hi! I’m an avid controller wanting to be a part of IFATC. This is my tracking thread where you can see where I am open, and for how long I will be. I am currently closed.

Important

Where -

Runways in Use -

Departures -
Arrivals -

Time -

Facilities Open -

Patterns -

Other -

It is recommended that you keep an eye on this thread while you are flying with me as ATC because I will post important information here.

Feedback

Sequencing
Clearences
Pattern Work

“I’ll call your base” “turn base” and speed commands are all mostly used for making gaps in between arrivals to sequence out departures, and other things such as that. Using those commands to space out aircraft, or to otherwise heavily control the movement of traffic on tower is called, at least here in IFATC, over-controlling. It’s best not to over control doing so, as it causes more work for you, and is completely unnecessary. For spacing between aircraft, sequencing aircraft makes spacing the responsibility of the pilot. When you only have only 1 aircraft in the pattern, or whenever an aircraft is number one, I’ll Call your Base and Turn base aren’t necessary at all unless you’re trying to make room for departures, or are possible coordinating tower traffic with an Approach controller’s inbound traffic. Either way, you won’t really need these at KIAH, especially not for the traffic conditions I was in. -@Tish

Pattern Entry

If you can think of each runway having it’s own pattern, there’s only three ways for an aircraft to enter the pattern a runway.

• They can take off from that runway and remain in the pattern. When you clear someone for takeoff remaining in the pattern, that is their pattern entry. You follow that up with a sequencing if necessary once they’re on downwind, and finally clear them for the option when on downwind or base.

• They can be in the pattern for a different runway at your airport. In this case, you’re going to have to use a pattern entry command. Figure that N1YZ is on right downwind, 33R, and he wants to switch to 33L, but you want him to stay on downwind because there’s an aircraft on final, you would give a pattern entry command reading, “N1YZ, enter right downwind, runway 10L, traffic to follow is on final.” This way I’ve been sequenced, and have been properly entered into the pattern.

• The aircraft is inbound. In this case, you would use the same command as above, although you’ll have different things to consider when it comes to the call on where in the pattern to fit them.

• One disclaimer is that when it comes to how you enter an aircraft into the pattern, whether it be downwind, base, straight in, you need to consider:

• Your plan for the pattern and where you want the aircraft to fit in

• Other aircraft on other runway and how they can conflict

• Physical capabilities (i.e You don’t want an aircraft on downwind that hasn’t past the runway to turn base)

Ground Control

When controlling ground, the “give way” command is great for managing traffic since you can command an aircraft to give way, and you don’t need to follow it up with any other commands. The plane can continue to taxi without the need of a tower command. Hold position needs a tower command to start the plane to move again. Just remember the difference.

IFATC, TL3’s and above, this tracking thread is a wiki, so you can add your feedback in one of the sections above. Thanks!

Thanks for flying! Remember to check back here to see if I am currently open!

2 Likes

Not a TL3 so I can’t edit that but I am in IFATC Trainer so feel free to add this to your Wiki if you would like. I give you some live feedback while I fly :)

1 Like

Ok I’ll add it myself. Thanks!

Pattern Work

“I’ll call your base” “turn base” and speed commands are all mostly used for making gaps in between arrivals to sequence out departures, and other things such as that. Using those commands to space out aircraft, or to otherwise heavily control the movement of traffic on tower is called, at least here in IFATC, over-controlling. It’s best not to over control doing so, as it causes more work for you, and is completely unnecessary. For spacing between aircraft, sequencing aircraft makes spacing the responsibility of the pilot. When you only have only 1 aircraft in the pattern, or whenever an aircraft is number one, I’ll Call your Base and Turn base aren’t necessary at all unless you’re trying to make room for departures, or are possible coordinating tower traffic with an Approach controller’s inbound traffic. Either way, you won’t really need these at KIAH, especially not for the traffic conditions I was in (No traffic at all for anyone that wasn’t there)

Pattern Entry

If you can think of each runway having it’s own pattern, there’s only three ways for an aircraft to enter the pattern a runway.

They can take off from that runway and remain in the pattern. When you clear someone for takeoff remaining in the pattern, that is there pattern entry. You follow that up with a sequencing if necessary once they’re on downwind, and finally clear them for the option.
The can be in the pattern for a different runway at your airport. In this case, you’re going to have to use a pattern entry command. Figure that N1YZ is on right downwind, 33R, and he wants to switch to 33L, but you want him to stay on downwind because there’s an **aircraft on final, you would give a pattern entry command reading, “N1YZ, enter right downwind, runway 10L, traffic to follow is on final.” This way I’ve been sequenced, and have been properly entered into the pattern.
The aircraft is inbound. In this case, you would use the same command as number 2, although you’ll have different things to consider when it comes to the call on where in the pattern to fit them.
** One disclaimer I want to make is that when it comes to how you enter an aircraft into the pattern, wether it be downwind, base, straight in, you need to consider:
Your plan for the pattern and where you want the aircraft to fit in
Other aircraft on other runway and how they can conflict
Physical capabilities (i.e You don’t want an aircraft on downwind that hasn’t past the runway to turn base)

Ground Control

When controlling ground, the “give way” command is great for managing traffic since you can command an aircraft to give way, and you don’t need to follow it up with any other commands. The plane can continue to taxi without the need of a tower command. Hold position needs a tower command to start the plane to move again. Just remember the difference

1 Like

Ok, so I use the spacing commands when there is some traffic…gotcha.

More specifically when you’re trying to make spacing, but this will be rare. It’ll most likely be tower only with one active runway. Basically, don’t use it if you don’t have to, and don’t try to space out aircraft yourself. Use sequencing instead. I’m going to edit my last post to add feedback to keep things nice and clean. About to add something now, but feel free to keep asking questions if you have any

Ok, but because I have 2 runways to work with at KIAH I most likely wont need to use spacing commands. And only use it if I absolutely need to.

You really have 5 runways, and this is a case when you have 3-4 aircraft constantly in the pattern, wether it be pattern work aircraft or continuous inbounds. I had to go do something, but I’ll try to come back before you close. I’ll rap up my feedback as well

1 Like

I’ve got a question about clearence. When do I clear an aircraft for landing or for the option?

Normally I give sequencing on crosswind and clear as early as downwind. You don’t want to wait too long. It’s better to clear someone and have to re-sequence and clear again then forget to clear someone entirely. (Also added to my feedback if you want to check)

1 Like

Added to my feedback. Also @Matt737 Try using a pattern entry command now to switch my runway

Edit: That was perfect. You can use sequencing built into the pattern entry command when you have traffic to combined the pattern entry and sequencing commands into one, to save time on the frequency and space in the log

1 Like

Thanks! Now I’ve got a question about the facility closing broadcast. Do I give the closing in 5 minutes, then 2 minutes, than 1 minute? Or do I only use one?

First off, I’d suggest you to open an airport with 2 runways at the most for practice. You can get to bigger airports once you gain enough confidence to issue pattern and landing commands for multiple runways simultaneously.

Secondly, after requesting a runway change, you gave a pattern entry correctly but your clearance should be followed by a new pattern command. For example: “Z7, Runway 33R cleared for the option, after the option make right/left traffic”. Thereafter, you can continue with “Cleared for the option Runway 33R” like you were doing correctly.

I didn’t find any other flaw though, you just need a bit of polishing and you’ll be good to go :)

2 Likes

In the IFATC the minimum controllers should use is two minutes unless it is an emergency, but all three are used. You would give the 5, then the 2, then the 1

1 Like

Ok thanks Tish. that cleared up some confusion. @Zuhair.Mazhar thank you for the feedback. I chose KIAH because it is my home airport and I’m familiar with it, but in the future I’ll open smaller airports.

1 Like

KFLL is a pretty popular airport for this kind of training

2 Likes

Ok cool. I’ve got one final question for now, what are operations? I saw that you must have 500 to be a part of the IFATC, and I have 383.

Operations a basically the takeoff, landing, and taxing commands that you get from controlling. There’s just a minimum to ensure you’ve actually at least used the system

1 Like

I’m now open at KAUS and will be open there for 45 minutes, or until 2115Z. @Tish @Zuhair.Mazhar

Sorry @Zuhair.Mazhar something unexpected came up and I have to leave. I’m sorry.