Manual or APPR

Do most people land manually or with APPR? I love landing manual otherwise I just think their is no point/fun in it.

I do every approach by hand (if it’s not ILC cat III conditions 🤪), otherwise it’s just boring.

I used to use APPR just to line up but now I manually fly in my approaches :).

I use APPR for every ILS approach, and disable it 5nm out after I lowered the gear. I always use APPR when landing in extremely low visibility landings, and if the landing has low vis but still manageable, manual is how I go. I find landing by hand very fun tbh, it’s more realistic.
Also autopilot always lands hard, barely flares, and tends to make the nose bob up and down on approach

1 Like

I use APPR until 3 nm from the runway then take over the control

I sometimes use autoland for longer flights because at the end of them, I am usually tired and can’t control the aircraft properly. But on shorter flight (9-10 hours) I manually land.

I use APPR until I have a visual of the runway then I hand fly. When it is below 2 nm vis, that’s when I use APPR all the way till the wheels touch the ground.

Visual with the runway for me is about 8-11 nm.

I use APPR until 1000ft or when I can see the runway (whichever is later).

1 Like

It all depends on visibility conditions for me, tbh.

APPR until the minimums prescribed on the chart is usually what I do.

I use APPR only when visibility is very low as it is most useful then

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.