Manual Landings

I’ve been playing IF regularly for about 6 months now, but still can’t perform a manual landing for the life of me. I’ve watched tutorials and know the inputs required, yet I still can’t hold my trajectory still. Anyone have any tips? Should my sensitivity settings be adjusted away from defaults?

other q’s for the community:
are you ‘good’ at manual landings, and are yours smoother than APPR?

how long have you been flying in IF before you attempted and/or mastered man. landings?

when a pilot performs an ILS approach, does that automatically mean autoland? Or that simply means a pilot just follows the glideslope and localizer–but does not specify how the ILS path is followed (with or w/o autopilot).

in the real world: do pilots generally request visual approaches even when ILS is available? what’s the benefit to a visual if you can only do visual once the airport is in sight?

is autoland generally used even in clear/calm weather?

1 Like

Just to answer your first question, make use of trim to stop the loss of altitude and downward pitch. If you need more stability, like myself. Try resting your arms/elbows next to your hips and torso or perhaps sit in a way in which your elbow rests on something. It should help you if that is a genuine issue that you have.

1 Like

Most importantly try hud first get the little circle to align to the runway, but before calibrate your device as it could make you plane go nose up or down!

Try solo mode first!

2 Likes

Adjusting the control sensitivity in settings to what you find easiest may help.

2 Likes

Hey there!

I never use APPR. Ever. I always hand fly my landings. Mine end up being much smoother than using APPR mode, most of the time.

Hand flying is quite simple. Just a couple things to remember are:

1). Always use minor corrections to roll or pitch

2). Use power to adjust on the glide slope path. Drastic changes to pitch almost always result in an unstable approach.

To maintain vertical guidance to the runway, keep a level or slightly nose up pitch. If you get too low, add a little power. If you get too high, subtract a little power until you’re back on the glide path.

Hope this helps! I can also give you some guidance on crosswind landings if you’d like :)

8 Likes

Same @anon38496261

1 Like

Take a peek at this, it will explain a bit

Using the flight path vector (the green dot) is very useful for keeping the airplane aligned with the runway, also keeping the vertical speed under control.

Visuals are meant to expedite airport traffic and generally a pilot has the airport in sight much further than you can see in IF. Usually about 15 miles. Visual means you can dump them on base maybe 5 miles from the airport without the restrictions of vector to final rules.

Don’t forget controllers can also clear on visual procedures granted the preceding aircraft is in sight as well. As well as visual approach procedures listed on charts with landmark waypoints.

As much as it’s not realistic, go into solo mode, and do the 20 seconds back feature. This will allow you to do a high frequency of landings in a very short amount of time.

One tip which should help, one which I heard on my very first lesson, “Pitch for speed, power for altitude.” Probably won’t make a lot of sense until you try it out. Solo mode is great for this, but your choice.

I’d gladly take all the help I can get

1 Like

I haven’t mastered the art of trusting APPR practice…practice…practice… is what is needed.

i was watching a cockpit view landing once and noticed how the pilots make relatively large yoke/side stick movements but the actual affect they have on the aircraft is very very little. so i went into me general settings in IF - not the sensitivity settings and set the sensitivity to low. it solved my problem of over-correcting my approach path (GS and LOC). example: if i was too low i would pull up too much causing myself to be too high no matter how gentle i tried to be with my controls

one of the biggest causes of poor approaches and/or landings in my opinion is this. most amateur IF pilots go too hard on the yoke. what i’m trying to say is this - make very very very slight corrections during approach. trust me it’ll solve ur issue

also during ur approach relax ur hands, wrists and arms as much as u can. it actually helps. never let ur forearm get tense 😬.

1 Like

I like to do manual landings. I live for manual landings. When I started flying on IF I did manual landings. I flew mostly props. Not sure if APPR was introduced back then.
I’m getting lazy and use APPR more but land manually. I disconnect AP at around 500’

2 Likes

I never land with autopilot. I would recommend going into solo mode and doing it over and over and over again. After all, you can’t get better if you don’t practice - just put the FPV (the green circle) pointed at the runway and keep it as steady as you can, and only make minor adjustments.

1 Like

i’ve been playing IF for 6 months. i’ve got 600+ flying hours now. my manual landings are pretty damn good - not on the a320 tho as i use cockpit view with live instruments without HUD. i can get half decent to pretty good landings with the live cockpit view of the a350 tho.

currently this is how i perform my landings
(note: throughout the whole approach i will be actively monitoring my trim and trimming the aircraft to get rid of the purple line)

1. maintaining intercept altitude with full AP on including my VAPP speed maintained
  2. engage APPR
  3. LOC would come alive at this point and the APPR would start lining up the aircraft (note i am currently in level flight)
  4. reach final approach fix which is also my intercept point for G/S
  5. G/S comes alive and the APPR starts descending along the G/S (ensure aircraft is properly trimmed)

NOTE: well before u execute step 6, ensure that ur aircraft is properly trimmed do that the purple line is not there (if u don’t know what i mean by this let me know and i will post a screenshot)

1. disengage AP if following criteria is met:
  • good visual contact with runway and u can see the touchdown point clearly
  • aircraft is coming down on the correct G/S not too high or low
  • aircraft is established on LOC
  • FPV is aimed at touchdown point
  1. hand fly the rest of the approach. keep the nose pitched at a constant angle. to correct ur G/S (too high or too low) don’t pitch up or down. simply make minor adjustments to your throttle (reduce if too high and vice versa)

NOTE: when i fly the a320 or a350 (live cockpit) i will not disengage the A/THR in step 6. i would only disengage the APPR. when i reach decision altitude (minimums) i would disengage A/THR.

1. every aircraft is different so i cannot tell u when to begin ur flare and when to retard the throttle you’ll work all that out with practice and experimentation. all i can say is that u want to aim to have ur FPV aimed a tad bit below the horizon at the moment u touch down.

i hope this helps
if there is a single thing that u don’t understand in the guide above, plz don’t hesitate to ask and i’ll be happy to help out clear any doubts.

1 Like

about 4 months

normally when they say ils approach they mean hand flying (sometimes APPR until like 500’). but if it says CAT III ils approach they are surely using autoland

I must say I was the same until the Xcub came out. Spawn on short final to somewhere like YMAV (really long, wide runway) on solo and make sure your pitch and roll are set to the lowest sensitivity. And just practice. Make sure you’ve got a steady service to go back into the neutral position on too.

1 Like