Manual landing.

SO after several hours of flying and only 27 landings which comprises mostly ILS approach i decided to start manually landing aircraft. Every time i end up crashing too early into the runway or i just bounce and bounce until i tip off or fly away again. I am using an android device with default sensitivity. I would really love to get inputs. I am missing on something important and subtle which i am not understanding.

1 Like

Check out #tutorials to help ya out. Btw could u possibly tell us how u are landing?

1 Like

i descend to 2000 altitude , set flaps to full by the time i reach this altitude, speed at 160knots on a 737-800. Also try to maneuver the aircraft as clumsy as i can :(

Try on solo. Put winds on 0kts, vis 50.
Also make your aircraft as light as you can. (For practice only) therefore you can get more time to flare. Follow the glideslope and around 10-20ft (AGL) Slowly tilt your device back.
Keep practicing and you’ll get it. One you master it, try adding some cargo and PAX

5 Likes

will try now. thanks a lot

1 Like

I wont give you advice but i’ll tell you what I did.

I started on the cessna and practised offline. Once i was comfortable in that i moved up to the bigger AC.
The A320 to me is easier to land than the 738.

I also noticed you go full flaps at 160kts which is too fast. I usually go flaps 25 at 143kts, trim at 20-30%, meduim weight. 500ft AGL i disengage the Autothrottle and fly it by hand completely. I know it’s not very detailed but I hope these tips help.

4 Likes

Lowering sensitivity of controls vastly helped in my case. Also, while settled on descent, ajusting VS with throttle rather than yoke.
Practice, practice, practice…

3 Likes

Always calibrate before you take off the auto pilot. Do this and it should help

7 Likes
  1. Ensure airspeed is your landing speed before switching off A/P. Landing speed depends on weight and aircraft.
  2. Switch to low sensitivity.
  3. Make sure your aircraft nose is in line with 0 degree attitude. Calibrate multiple times before switching off A/P, this is to make sure that the aircraft is properly calibrated, will be useful if your aircraft is heavy. After switching off A/P, do not move the throttle.
  4. Once A/P is switched off, try to keep your hands as stable as possible while maintaining 0 degree attitude. A good way is to put your hands on something sturdy like a table for support, this way you won’t have to worry about the aircraft rolling. If your nose pitches up, you lose speed, if it’s down, you gain speed and you do not want to mess up your landing speed. Practice several times to master your stability.
  5. Start flaring once you hear callout “50…40…30…”
  6. Cut off throttle when you hear “20…10”, cut off earlier and you will hit the runway hard, not cutting off the throttle will make your aircraft difficult to land as you’d have to pitch down.

That is too fast. Should be 140 kts. Even if your aircraft is near MLW, it shouldn’t be 160 kts.

3 Likes

You’ve got some good tips already. Obviously a good landing takes some serious practice.

Have you seen this one?

1 Like

I land at 140kts on a 737. On bigger planes (747, A380) i go 145-150.

1 Like

Just interested, have you tried using trim on your controls? It should really help out with keeping the aircraft stable during lower speeds.

1 Like

As far as l am concerned nothing gives you more aviating acumen than being almost totally proficient at manual control of every aircraft to the point of being able to land any type with no cockpit view and optimally by tail view so you learn how to instinctively judge distances by landmarks only for vfr landings…the less you rely on instruments the more confidence you will get… l enjoy practicing every landing at least every week as if l had multiple system failures…try it you might like it !

2 Likes

I must say that you read all of #tutorials and get all the tips, but you still have to just do landing after landing if you want to get good

1 Like

I almost never do an ILS approach. Always manual and visual. I like to rely on my own skills

3 Likes

Lots of factors go into a “butter” landing, as a veteran infinite flight pilot I suggest you check out the many tutorials infinite flight has to offer over on YouTube which helps tremendously.

2 Likes

Shut up with you’re butter😂 I’m gonna melt it

2 Likes

160 is WAY too fast for a 737.

2 Likes

I mean for landing yes, but a little ways out on approach, that isn’t too bad…

2 Likes

Also practice doing touch and goes with the TBM, SR22, or the Cessna 178, I found this helpful flying manually.

2 Likes