Managing KLAS

Fourth up on my series is Las Vegas. I will briefly explain details on the Las Vegas McCarren Airport to try and make IF more realistic when it comes to airports.

So far this series has been very well treated, so I thank you all so much in advance for your support and feedback. As already requested by 4 people, I am doing KSFO next.

Quick KLAS facts:

• McCarren airport handles over 540,000 aircraft movements in a year.
  • McCarren serves as the fourth largest airport on the west coast, behind Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles
  • New Canadian airline Swoop talking with service to Las Vegas, what would be the airline’s only US-Canada connection
  • Las Vegas has the most slot machines in an airport anywhere else in the world

There are two terminals to Las Vegas. And for those that are wondering, Las Vegas is a hub for 4 airlines, Allegiant, Spirit, Frontier, and Southwest

Concourse A

• Allegiant
    Concourse B
  • Allegiant
  • Spirit
  • Southwest
    Concourse C
  • Southwest
    Concourse D
  • American
  • Delta
  • United
  • Frontier
  • Air Canada
  • Sun Country ( not in IF )
  • Thomas Cook
  • Hawaiian
    Concourse E ( mostly international )
  • AeroMexico
  • Alaska
  • jetBlue
  • British Airways
  • Condor
  • Copa Airlines
  • Swiss
  • Eurowings
  • Hainan
  • Interjet
  • Korean Airlines
  • LATAM
  • Norweigan
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • Viva Aerobus
  • Volaris
  • West Jet

** Las Vegas does not serve any A380’s **

Cargo Terminal:
McCarren is not a big airport in terms of cargo. However, for those who do fly cargo, the terminal would be east of concourse E and D.

Departing:

• Departing runways 25R/7L and 19L/1R
  • Under certain situations, pattern work is not allowed/straight out departures
  • You can take off from either side of 25R/7L and 19L/1R. However, taking off from 1R is extremely rare.
  • If you do take off from 1R, once departed, ATC will give instructions on departing to the left, right, or straight out, depending on the traffic situation.

Landing:

• Landing runways 25L/7R , 25R/7L and 19R/1L
  • You can land from either side of 25L/7R , 25R/7L and 19R/1L
  • Always enter straight in, except for runway 19R/1L
  • If you are landing 19R/1L on the 19R side, always enter the left downwind at around 3,000 AGL. Turn an immediate left to 190 degrees, and you will find yourself on a short final. When you enter the left downwind, you should be originally facing 270 degrees to the west, then turn to 190. This is done when traffic is extremely heavy on 25L/7R and 25R/7L and to avoid the Las Vegas Strip.
  • Exit the runway immediatly. Just assume traffic is always on final.
  • The only time you should cross a runway is after landing

ATC:

• Las Vegas is 2,000 feet up from sea level.
  • Expect to see long taxi times, and a lot of pushback requests from Concourse E and D
  • There are mountains east and west of the airport, be cautious of that

That is all for Las Vegas. If I messed up anything don’t hesitate to tell me. I missed a lot of things on my recent Denver thread, so I did a little more research into Las Vegas.

Link to my Denver thread: Managing KDEN

KSFO is next!

15 Likes

They’ll use 19L for arrival too. Just thought I’d put it out there.

3 Likes

I’m in love with these series very nice job! Managing KIAH would be a very interesting and needed airport! Thanks for doing these managing series!

Bookmarking this for the next time I fly to KLAS. Amazing work!

Can’t wait for KSFO! I live 45 minutes away from the airport and I don’t know about it as much as KSJC since I fly to and from KSJC more often.

Most departures actually make you turn left over the strip off of 1R

2 Likes

I’ve never seen that happen before, but I also believe what you are saying is true. Thx for your comment, I’m editing it!

That is correct, 👆🏼also runway 01R is used often for takeoffs. Winds change so much here in Vegas that they takeoff and land from there. On regular conditions, runways 26R for takeoffs, and 26L for landings!

I live here in Vegas so I fly in and out of McCarran often! Also over the years of just seeing how the air traffic is! But overall good run down of McCarran!

1 Like

I have to say that I have not seen them anywhere else yet.

But then again I have yet to travel the entire world.

1 Like

By runways 25 L/R u meant 26L/R right?

1 Like

Also, the 01’s are never a straight out departure, always immediate left/right turns. Nellis airspace is to the north, also KVGT has a VFR transition that runs east/west just north of McCarran.

26R is for departures, 26L is for landings, then cross RWY 26R at either A5 or A6.

1 Like

I agree and really appreciate this! I find it very helpful! but just know infinite flight is more of a game then simulator and people are still going to do what they want!

I like these as well. The quick reference feel combined with the subsequent community offerings of subtle nuances make this a bookmark for me every time. Thank you.

1 Like

Wait what about Janet airlines 🤔👽. They also service KLAS. I am just kidding, these are great posts with some awesome info! Keep it up.

Do you mind if I also use the “managing airports” idea and format so I can provide info on other airports?

I hate to be a stickler as this was great and very useful, but there are a few things I noticed.

Also I generally find correcting things fun, so I lied

Just wanted to point this out specifically, not sure if anyone else did. Las Vegas used to have 25R/7L and 25L/7R. They changed it (fairly recently I assume) to 26R/8L and 26L/8R - the same runways that are in IF - due to the shifting of it’s heading.

I also wanted to mention this as the way I read it, it seems pointless. In any situation in real life, ATC will give you instructions (ie “RNAV _____”, “runway heading”, “heading ___”), and this goes for IF too, although not to the same extent (you request a departure direction and they can also put in ATIS that they only allow straight out departures)

This confused me when I originally read it. But I realized you messed up on one of two things: either you confused downwind with final, or you confused headings. A downwind should be heading the opposite direction, in this case the runway is 19R (~190 degrees), so the opposite of that would be 010 degrees.

Like I said earlier, though, this was a great post and very helpful to anyone not as familiar with the airport or general procedures. Also if any of what I said was wrong, feel free to point it out. I’m no expert.

1 Like

LAS airport is very well designed and well-mapped in this game! I wonder why there aren’t any lights in the taxiway, which made it hard to fly in the night. In the real life, blue lights are on the taxiway.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.