Managing KBOS

Welcome to Boston Logan International Airport (IATA:BOS ICAO:KBOS FAA LID:BOS) is officially called General Edward Lawrence Logan International Airport. Logan International Airport is a fairly large airport with six runways, four terminals, and 102 total gates.

KBOS has four terminals, lettered A, B, C, and E
Terminals A-C primarily serves domestic flight, and terminal E primarily serves international flights

Terminal A serves

• Delta
  • Southwest
  • Westjet

Terminal B serves

• Air Canada
  • American Airlines
  • Boutique Air
  • Spirit
  • United

Terminal C serves

• Aer Lingus
  • Alaska Airlines
  • Cape Air
  • JetBlue
  • Sun Country Airlines
  • Tap Portugal (Departures only)

Terminal E serves

• Aeromexico
  • Air France
  • Alitalia
  • American Airlines (International arrivals only)
  • Avianca
  • Azores Airlines
  • British Airways
  • Cathay Pacific
  • Copa Airlines
  • Delta (International arrivals only)
  • El Al
  • Emirates
  • Hainan Airlines
  • Iberia
  • Icelandair
  • Japan Airlines
  • JetBlue (International arrivals only)
  • LATAM
  • Level
  • Lufthansa
  • Norwegian
  • Porter
  • Primera Air
  • Qatar Airways
  • SAS
  • Silver Airways
  • Swiss
  • TACV
  • TAP Portugal (Arrivals only)
  • Thomas Cook Airlines
  • Turkish Airlines
  • Virgin Atlantic
  • WOW Air

Cargo Service
Logan International airport is the 10th busiest airport in the US for cargo traffic, handling 684,875 tons of freight in 2012.
Cargo airlines that serve Logan International Airport include:

• DHL
  • FedEx
  • UPS
  • British Airways World Cargo
  • Cathay Pacific Cargo
  • China Airlines Cargo
  • EVA Air Cargo
  • LATAM Cargo Chile
  • Saudia Cargo

Logan International Airport’s FAA diagram
KBOS%20Airport%20Diagram

Runway Configuration
Logan International Airport has predetermined runway setups to reduce noise to the city. While some are more ideal than others, it all goes down to the wind. If winds are from the North-East, the active arrival runways are 4L & 4R, and departures on 4L(non-jet), 4R, and 9. If winds are from the South-West, the active arrival runways are 22R(non-jet), 22L, and 27, the active departure runways are 22L and 22R. If winds are from the North-West, the active arrival runways are 33L, 32, and 27, the active departure runways are 33L and 27. If winds are from the South-East, the active arrival runways are 15R and 15L, and departures are from 15R, 14, and 9. for more info, please refer to this page on Massport’s website:http://www.massport.com/logan-airport/about-logan/noise-abatement/how-logan-operates/

Airport Statistics
In May 2018, Logan International Airport had a total of:

• 30,334 U.S. domestic flights
  • 4,763 International Flights
  • 19,114 Arrivals
  • 19,119 Depaturs
  • 3,136 GA flights
  • 38,233 Total flight operations
  • 3,021,395 Total domestic passengers
  • 672,304 Total international passengers
  • 1,873,709 Deplaning passengers
  • 1,831,420 Enplaning passengers
  • 11,430 GA passengers
  • 3,705,129 Total passengers
    Source for the statics:http://www.massport.com/media/2912/0518-avstats-airport-traffic-summary.pdf

Primary source is the Massachusetts Port Authority (Massport): http://www.massport.com/

If there is anything you think I am missing, please PM me, and I will get it added, thanks!

2 Likes

I was a supervisor on the ramp at KBOS for over three years. I miss working at that airport. 😕

2 Likes

Boston is honestly my favorite city, and KBOS happens to be my favorite airport, and if you think im missing anything that should be mentioned, please feel free to PM me

1 Like

Oh lovely Boston. My home airport! I’m glad it’s your favorite airport.

For the A380 enthusiasts, Terminal E only serves this aircraft at gates E10, E11, and E12. For the realism buffs, British Airways is the only airline to currently operate the super Airbus 3 times a week. British Airways only uses gate E12 no matter which aircrafts are operating that day.

These airlines don’t serve Boston per se. These cargo companies just have offices on the property. UPS, DHL, and FedEx operate there on their own metal, so that’s correct. FedEx uses the entire south cargo ramp while UPS and DHL use the north cargo ramp (stands 14-18).

Although Massport officially has 4L used as non-jet arrivals for the NE config, jets as large as a 767 can also use this runway strictly for arrivals and when weather is relatively clear (no ILS, visual approach only).

Runways 15L/33R are rarely used. I think I’ve seen one Cape Air aircraft land on it. This runway is usually used as a taxiway when Logan is operating on the NE configuration. Runways 14/32 are unidirectional meaning you can only takeoff and land in one direction. 14 is solely used for takeoffs (rare) and 32 is only used for landings (not as rare) but is offset because of its convergence with the 33L ILS localizer. The biggest aircraft that can land on 32 is an Embraer regional jet.

This is meant to be a “how to manage x airport” thread, right? Maybe you could’ve added common taxi routes, special departure procedures (22s and 27 are unique), special arrival procedures, gates utilization based on aircraft, etc. This would definitely help the thread a ton!

Most of the information posted is stuff people can simply search of Google. Add some stuff that maybe isn’t easily accessible on the internet. Just a thought!

You’re welcome to PM me as I know the airport and how it operates pretty well.

4 Likes

Nice format man
KBOS runway setup can be complicated for pilots so It’s nice to see KBOS information