Malaysia Airlines next to pull the plug on the A380-800

While it comes as no surprise to those in the know, Malaysia Airlines will finally be pulling the plug, and saying goodbye to 6 of its A380-800. After first taking delivery of it just under 10 years ago, it has seen regular service to many destinations such as Paris, Jeddah, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Seoul, Sydney, Melbourne, as well as its flagship route to London Heathrow.

Malaysia Airlines hasn’t been doing well in recent years, and its quite the understatement to say that they’re in a bad shape. Having been relying on numerous government injections and bailouts, it was more or less doomed from the start, even having multiple employees of Malaysia Airlines admitting to the A380 as a wrong move.

Not to mention that this isn’t the first time Malaysia Airlines has tried to end its relationship with the A380, attempting to offload all of them in 2015, and again in 2017, as financial woes hit them, however, and rather sadly, this time in 2021, the A380 looks to be gone for good with good reason, however, the date of exit from service has still yet to be decided.

I’ve been fortunate enough to have flown on all 6 A380 in the last 10 years or so, and admittedly, it’s one of the best planes in terms of comfort. While it’s a shame to see them go, I’m confident that this is the right step for Malaysia Airlines as they attempt to pull through this pandemic in one piece.

15 Likes

Noooo, does this mean my Malaysia Airlines A380 is unrealistic?! 😩

1 Like

Well, no, because it does, or at least it did exist. At least how I see it, if you were to carry this logic a lot of B747s would be unrealistic as well.

2 Likes

Definitely sad to see so many airlines pulling the plug on their aircraft. Unfortunate that Malaysia Airlines is retiring their A380, was a really nice aircraft with a great livery.

2 Likes