Making the Expert Server "Expert" Once Again

Hey everyone! I have noticed how in the “Expert Server” there have been more and more people who don’t follow the published rules they are supposed to. This is disappointing, to say the least, and I don’t understand why they don’t just fly in the Casual Server. That’s where they should be flying. So…I tried to come up with a way to make the Expert Server a more professional environment. The idea is fairly simple. But making it actually happen is trickier. Basically it would require something that resembles when an Air Traffic Controller hands out a violation. But this ability would be given to trusted pilots as well. The reason for this is that I notice a lot more unprofessional behavior in airspaces that don’t have an active Air Traffic Controller around. This would force pilots to be more cautious and follow the rules because they never know just who might be one of these “policemen,” as I’d like to call it. Another branch to this idea would be “warnings.” For example, if one of the “policemen” saw an aircraft taxiing faster that it should be, he could hand out a “warning,” telling the pilot to slow down. The aircraft would then be given a chance to slow down. If however, the pilot decides to continue going at his fast taxi speed, the “policemen” could then disconnect that pilot from the Expert Server. This would not only allow the unprofessional pilot a chance to follow the rules, but it would also result in those unprofessional pilots not being allowed to fly in the Expert Server for a certain amount of time (thus making the Expert Server more professional). Another aspect of my idea would be to make certain rules more strict. For instance, a violation would be automatically issued at 250 knots instead of 260. And the same thing for taxi speeds and other rules. And if we wanted to be really strict, instead of just giving out a violation, it could also automatically disconnect that pilot from the Expert Server. I know a lot of people would probably think this is being too harsh, but in my opinion, since they are not supposed to be doing it in the first place, it would be a good way to keep only rule-following pilots in the Expert Server. Well, this is what I thought up. More than anything, I would like to get across the point that if you don’t intend to take the Expert Server seriously, just go fly in the Casual Server. You can fly however you please there. And no one can tell you what to do. Anyways, thanks for taking the time to read this. I know it’s a bit long :) And happy flying!

22 Likes

I liked your ideas and Ill say this I’ve played IF on and off since 2013 and the current iteration of the violations system is designed with some leniency because many players of the game are not real pilots. Also in the case of speeding just yesterday I got a pop up warning on autopilot because I briefly (like 1knt for a couple seconds) went over speed while the autopilot was adjusting to the wind as I reached cruise. I think it would be unfair for that to cause a violation as there’s nothing a player can do to prevent that. While I may agree to some extent with your suggestion on a disconnect I will also say its not a great feeling to be disconnected 11 hrs into a 12 hr flight. Even if you make mistakes I still think that shouldn’t take away the satisfaction of completing a long haul flight.

4 Likes
I definitely hear where you are coming from, but from a practical standpoint, there is almost no way that this would work.
Firstly, there is no way to determine who is eligible to be "police" or not. Sure we could say if you pass a certain requirement, etc, you get the permissions, but you could still have pilots who exceed those requirements who abuse the abilities.

Secondly, we cannot put random users at an advantage over other users, mainly because it looks bad for the game, but also because it isn’t fair for players that may have made an honest mistake, are slowly improving, or have any other slight disadvantage.

For ATC, it makes sense that the reporting feature is available because ATC is the “manager” of the Airspace, and all aircraft must follow the commands, similar to real life.

Regarding the level one violations that you brought up, there is one main reason why your proposed idea of having them automatically disconnect the user from the server wouldn't work.
Our Level 1 Violations are designed to help teach the user how to improve and how to get better. Having them automatically wipe out the user from the server would just create frustration, disappointment, and disengagement from properly learning. There is a famous quote I like to remark upon often, "It's not about falling down, but rather about how you get up". Level 1 violations allow the user to make note of their mistake and get back up again, allowing them to be better than ever before the next time.

To summarize, I think that your idea of “police people” or redoing Level 1’s wouldn’t really work because it puts random users at an unfair advantage over other users. I do indeed believe that there is a way we could “Expert” the Expert Server again like you noted in your title, but this way will come with time, though, and a solution will come with time. The best thing we can do is continue to maintain our professionalism, and offer our hand to users in need. If you see people on the expert server who may have made some mistakes, PM them on the IFC and inform them of the correct action so that they could perform better next time. Offering a positive learning environment is far better in my opinion than threatening with violations and wiping people out.

I hope this makes sense, and I’m open to answering any questions people may have.
Sincerely,
Daniel

9 Likes

The “expert” server should require people to not do the following:

Stall onto the runway more than 3 times in a week
Slam the plane into full throttle until the very end of the runway then yank it off the ground… ever
Try and change what the controller is asking out of you more than 3 times in a session.
Try and cut someone off/cause a “collision”
Turn a plane so hard it looks like its going to roll over (this happens way too often and I absolutely despise it.) ever.
Harass people on the IFC after having an easily solvable and minor conflict

In the end we need to make the expert server look like the expert server and not the casual server without planes buzzing terminals at .95 or above.

4 Likes

I agree with the fact that expert could be a bit more professional, but how that is achieved is a tricky question. Just landed in SEA and saw planes overtake each other through the grass… on expert

4 Likes

Seattle has some of the most unprofessional people coming in and out of it the 2 times i’ve been there when its busy… I think the shamrock should’ve just picked another airport to go to but theres tons of reasons as to why someone would over take like that.

4 Likes

I agree but when the cat (ATC) is away, the mice will play. People go reckless on expert when ATC isn’t present simply because they “can”. They know that the “Report” option has been defunct for a while.

4 Likes

Now that I give it thought why ever was that revoked and not further improved?

2 Likes

I forgot to add but atc was present so they knew the risks

2 Likes

Massively abused, unfortunately.

8 Likes

I would love to see Expert being very professional and stuff but then people are just having fun. Not everyone is into being super realistic. When you fly in to ATC-staffed airport when the traffic isn’t bad, the experience is great. Maybe it’s just a “feature” that during mega rush it gets pretty bad. I think this is sort of something we just have to live with.

Don’t get me wrong I enjoy being realistic but I see this is how it is.

3 Likes

The reason it is set to 260 knots and not 250 knots under 10000 is because of changing winds that may throw you over the speed limit suddenly so the devs gave a little bit of room with the speed

3 Likes

Yeah it’s stupid. This one time I was on short final at Doha and there was a plane waiting for departure. The controller told them to hold short of the runway and directly after that a controller change was in progress. The controller left and we were switched to unicom. The plane holding short just cut me off, fully aware that I was on short final. I decided to do a go around and try again. Unfortunately this isn’t the only example I have. Truly a shame that people don’t care when theres no ATC.

6 Likes

I think that a lot of this comes from a lack of knowledge as opposed to negligence or just not caring. For example, the people who rotate 737s at 200 knots when they’re at the thousand-foot marker at the other end of the runway likely don’t know about v-speeds. Infinite flight could implement some kind of tool that calculates these v-speeds based on the runway and airport conditions in-game, as well as sort of “mark” where they are on the primary flight display, if you know what I mean.

5 Likes

Yeah; I’m a stickler for a realism. Infinite Flight offers 3 servers and I feel that people who are on expert so really be realistic. An Aer Lingus A320 @ SeaTac? Not realistic in the slightest.

3 Likes

I agree. Although the 739 (in particular) is a pig and takes forever to get off the ground, people should know NOT to use a 739 with a short runway unless they know proper procedures, such as sitting on the brake or using flaps 25 etc etc

2 Likes

Does that really matter though? People can use the liveries they like. I’m not saying that it is bad to have your experience be as realistic as possible (I’m also a sucker for realism) but I feel like people can use whatever they want!

3 Likes

It would be nice if the controller changes could be more seamless and not have to go offline during the change. It wouldn’t even have to be announced to the pilots anymore.

4 Likes

Haha yeah I would love that too but I think that will be nearly impossible because of server latency.

2 Likes

ahh, yes. When “Expert” server becomes “Training” or “Casual” Server.

5 Likes