Making Infinite Flight Flight Plans Using Sky Vector

Hello again community! Today I’m bringing you another tutorial. In this tutorial I will cover how to make a flight plan with skyvector and use it in your Infinite Flight Flight Plan. This will take your flight simming experience to an all new level or realism!

First Things First…

To begin, go to SkyVector.com. This is a flight planning website that allows you to see airports, waypoints, VORs, TFRs, AIRMETs, SIGMETs, Airways, etc. Once you’re on the website, make sure the map is in “World Hi” (can be found in the top right corner). You’ll be able to veiw Airways, which will be discussed a lot in this tutorial.

Getting Started

Let’s say I want to fly the classic EGLL-KJFK route. In skyvector, i would open up my flight plan (top left). Then I enter my departure and destination (EGLL and KJFK). This will give you the most direct route. However, often times, the most direct route isn’t exactly the most realistic route. So, in order to be realistic, we first go on google and search “EGLL SID”. You may have to do some digging, but you will eventually come across a London Departure Chart. These are essentially what departure waypoints an aircraft needs to take after departing. You can find how to read and insert them into your flight plan here and/or here (this is highly recommended reading). Use your best judgment as to which runway you will be using. Typically at EGLL its 27L/R. For this tutorial I’ll use 27L. I also know that I’ll be departing northish. Based on that knowledge, I’ll choose the “Compton 3 Foxtrot” departure. Inputting the waypoints for CPT 3F, here’s what my flight plan looks like:

Time For Airways

Next step in this process is to pick and choose Airways to get you from point A to point B. It’s always smart to use the general of that long magenta line as a guide to whether you should go further north or not. Our departure ends with the VOR CPT. Looking at CPT, we can see that there are several Airways that stem from it. UN14 and UL9 both lead on from CPT. Let’s take UN14.

For those not using this for IF...

Now, if you’re doing this just for fun, it’s a lot less time consuming to enter the beginning waypoint (CPT) and the end waypoint (OKTAD) with the airway name inbetween. That will look something like “CPT UN14 OKTAD”. The system will automatically input the inbetween waypoints so you don’t have to.

If you’re using IF, put the waypoints along the airway into your flight plan (KENET, UGNUS, OKTAD). Now, just keep adding airwys until you reach the edge of Shanwick Oceanic. It should look something like this:

Next, we enter our North Atlantic Track (NAT). This is only if you’re crossing the Atlantic. If you don’t know how to use the track system, check out this tutorial.

Finishing It Off

After I enter my NAT (I chose Bravo), I’ll enter a few Airways leading to KJFK. After that, look up STARs (arrival charts) for KJFK. Choose an arrival, enter it into your plan, and you’re done! Here’s the end result of mine:

Final Remarks

Here’s some important things you should know:

• Infinite Flight does not have every waypoint that skyvector does. If you have a missing waypoint in your flightplan, head to http://fpltoif.com/ > Menu > Waypoint Lookup. This will give you the GPS coordinates of the missing waypoint.

• If it’s not in fpltoif, go to skyvector and lookup the waypoint there. If you need help, feel free to ask!

• FlightAware.com lists flight plans for their flights. You can decode these and use the actual flight plan. See http://fpltoif.com/ for more details.

• Unsure what SID/STAR to use? Use the website mentioned twice already to help you out (I swear, this isn’t an advertisement).

• The difference between “World Hi” and “World Lo”

I sincerely hope after reading this that you take this knowledge into account when creating your flight plans. Questions and comments are welcomed! Thanks for reading!

25 Likes

This is great! Very descriptive. Well done!

1 Like

Great tutorial, FYI you forgot the difference between high and low airways. Very important for a valid flight plan.

4 Likes

Very well done and well put together, I’m sure it took a long time to make. I was not aware that fpltoif.com’s waypoint lookup gave you coordinates. Even that little piece of information is a game changer for me! Thank you!

2 Likes

To be completely honest, I’m not 100% sure what the difference is. Care to enlighten me? :)

I am bookmarking this for future reference. Thanks!

One question: How do you make the flight plans on here Infinite Flight friendly?

Great tutorial. I will try to use sky vector in my flight planning in the future!

You can just copy it to IF. If there’s a missing/duplicate waypoint, look it up with FPLtoIF.

You could look up individual waypoints with fpltoif.com?

If so, how?

Simplest terms, the low airways are used below FL180, and the high above FL180. You can switch between seeing high and low in sky vector, click on “world hi” or “world lo”

1 Like

Right here ;)

This is so cool, I can’t wait to try it. Thanks for the awesome tutorial!

2 Likes

Thank you all! I will study and try to see if I am ready at this point t to jump in! I admire everyone of you that do this for a living you are both wise and smart I respect the systems and your understanding of these rules and tools

1 Like