Make Autoland use rudder

When you use the Autoland feature, the A/P doesn’t use the rudder if there was wind, make Autoland be able to use rudder.

8 Likes

Technically it does, it keeps the plane lined up with the runway

2 Likes

Well in real life, I don’t believe the autopilot has control of the rudder since it’s not necessary. Everything can be controlled through the elevator/trim and ailerons. Also, if it is windy you should avoid using auto land. Auto land is made to aid in low-visibility or normal conditions. Not windy conditions. Happy birthday btw.

5 Likes

That’s not the rudder, that’s the aileron.

1 Like

Yes, it does.[quote=“Tecnam2TA, post:3, topic:77420”]
Auto land is made to aid in low-visibility or normal conditions. Not windy conditions.
[/quote]

What if it was low visibility and it was windy.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Still, it acts like the rudder.

The autoland system’s response rate to external stimuli work very well in conditions of reduced visibility and relatively calm or steady winds, but the purposefully limited response rate means they are not generally smooth in their responses to varying wind shear or gusting wind conditions – i.e. not able to compensate in all dimensions rapidly enough – to safely permit their use.

Source

Copied from Wikipedia

2 Likes

7-10 knots of wind still needs little bit of rudder.

Category IIIc gives full, true autoland capabilities and it can hold the runway centerline (via rudder inputs) as the airplane rolls out, but it cannot control the airplane off the runway, as It has no control on the nose steering.
Blue skies :)

3 Likes

This would kinda take away from the realism, plus it only takes little to no effort to just move it ever so slightly to the left or right.

1 Like

But then the plane turns left/ right depending on which way you use the rudder.

Yeah, that’s what rudders do.

1 Like

That’s not what I meant. What I meant is if it was a little bit windy and you use the rudder before touch down the aileron will turn left/ right depending on which way you use the rudder causing a wing strike.

If Ithere is over a 5kt wind, APPR is not supported

That’s not true.

1 Like