Maintaining centreline

Hi y’all. Hope you’re good. How do you maintain the centreline on final? Do you use rudder or aileron? I find that if I use rudder the plane always kicks back in the opposite direction after I release the rudder. If I use aileron I overcorrect 🤦🏾‍♂️😂 I know there’s a few threads about it but I haven’t found a proper explanation yet. I don’t really like using auto land/APP because it takes the fun away for me. I’d rather puncture my gear during touchdown than butter it using auto land haha. Nothing against it though, I just prefer to be in control

2 Likes

Definitely do not use rudder until very close to landing. For centerline adjustments, use your ailerons.

If in a crosswind situation, you will most likely be using the runway for some final adjustments, check out this tutorial:

Give very small inputs. The aircraft will give you feedback. Practice makes perfect;)

3 Likes

LOL.
"I’d rather puncture my gear during touchdown than butter it using auto land haha."😂😂😂

4 Likes

If you are using the HUD view, have the small circle right in the touchdown zone. When you get to about 20 feet use rudder to align yourself with the runway.

Here’s a great tutorial by Tyler:

2 Likes

Thank you! I usually use the live cockpit instruments. Flying the 737-800 at the moment

1 Like

Thank you. Do you keep your sensitivity settings on default? The aircraft seems very very sensitive even with the smallest tilt

1 Like

I have actually never touched my sensitivity settings, I just went with it. If it is too sensitive for you, then I would advise you to turn your sensitivity down.

2 Likes

Definitely use Low sensitivity settings, I find thats needed on a phone anyway…

2 Likes

I use the iPad

1 Like

I personally, like to use a low sensitivity due to aircraft being very sensitive. It is up to you!

2 Likes

If you look at the very energetic corrections pilots make in real life (online videos of landings), you will realize it is better to set the sentivity somehow as low as it is in real aircrafts. It helped me a lot.
My two cents of course.

2 Likes

There is a reference point you follow and try to align it with the runway’s center line, that’s how pilots keep the planes on the taxiway’s line, now for each aircraft there is a different reference point on the B737 for example try to align the center line with the tip of the yoke.

on the B777 its different you try to align it with the master caution button:
CBF33809-3C67-45B9-B36B-C01C40285DA1

again these are reference points, so it doesn’t work for each aircraft neither it does for each person
but we are in a sim so it should work, and keep in mind pilots don’t usually land it perfectly on the center line, upon touchdown they do a little amount of corrections, but that doesn’t mean they land on the left side of the runway :)

2 Likes

Haha yeah I’ve seen them bully the yoke around, if I do that in IF I’d probably barrel roll lol. But yeah low sensitivity makes sense

1 Like

I do not have a yoke, but yes, I shake my phone quite heavily in bad weather!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.