MadMax NTSB Video/Audio: "Dash Crash-Pilot Error" Colgan Air #3407

MaxSez: The Dash-8/400 can be a beast if your inattentive, practice poor flight discipline and airmanship. This video depicts a Strike Loss caused by Pilot Error with attended Cockpit and ATC Audio. The NTSB Findings of Probable Cause is as follows:
The National Transportation Safety Board determines that the probable cause of this accident was the captain’s inappropriate response to the activation of the stick shaker, which led to an aerodynamic stall from which the airplane did not recover. Contributing to the accident were (1) the flight crew’s failure to monitor airspeed in relation to the rising position of the low-speed cue, (2) the flight crew’s failure to adhere to sterile cockpit procedures, (3) the captain’s failure to effectively manage the flight, and (4) Colgan Air’s inadequate procedures for airspeed selection and management during approaches in icing conditions. (Aviation Safety Network)

4 Likes

Wow, she was about to stall and she pulls up even more.

1 Like

MaxSez: In a STALL; Here’s a mnemonic that if remembered in your panic as you dump it that will save your bacon! “PARE”: Your ship falls off , one wing down, spinning! “PARE”= P- Power to Idel. A- Ailerons to Neutral (Flaps Up). R- Rudder Full over in the opposite direction of the spin and held in that position. E- Elevator, Neutral. Hold these inputs until the rotation stops. Careful you need energy here, RUDDER NEUTRAL, ELEVATOR EZ PULL UP to straight and level or a clime, throttle up, stabilize, cruise… Practice this technique often, What happened to #3407 is not a rare occurrence in a Dash-8 if your inattentive. This could happen to you!

3 Likes

Yup, knew about it, wish more people did, however, the reason for it is that most commercial pilots aren’t trained for spins and stalls properly.

1 Like

Maxmustang, back at it again with the dash Q400 posts

4 Likes

MaxSez… Professional knowledge gained topics Colonel always trump a Peanut Post. Garbage in garbage out!

1 Like

This goes double from me, no need for ludicrous post

1 Like

No offense intended, but any chance of ‘translating’ that. i don’t quite understand what you mean my friend

1 Like

@ColonelJeff… Wanna chat or a translation PM me. Max

1 Like

The crew were fatigued and tired. In black and white terms, yes a pilot caused the crash.
But the world is not black and white, it’s full of colour. When you take a step back and consider the culture of that airline and commuter ops, many experts warned this could happen. Shame the FAA only acted after people died.

Very sad.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.