MadMax How: How to Recover from a "Stall/Spin"

A Stall, been there, done that! Aircraft, lose lift or any of the other aerodymactic factor that keeps them aloft and they “Stall”, a Master Warning Horn will activate in IF if your behind the craft and in a Stall by then. A Stall is simply characterized by a sudden loss of control, a fall off on one wing followed by an uncontrolled Spin. Primarily a stall occurrs due to a loss of energy or its induced by dynamic forces outside the control of a Pilot or there lack of practice and proficiency. Most stalls are recoverable if you have the height and practiced proficiency to recover and proceed on route in any profile or configuration. Stall Recovery is a basic procedure taught to ever Student Pilot, and they must Demonstrate Stall Recovery to move on to their solo and final check ride. “PARE” is the nemonic (memory aid) all aviators should be familure with, it’s the step by step stall recovery procedure we all should be familure with. Here’s how to recover from a Stall/Spin:
P= Power to Idle, A= Ailerons to Neutral (Flaps up), R= Rudder, Full opposite to the Spin Direction, Elivator Neutral. (When all rotation (spin) Stops move the Rudder to Neutral, Elivator, EZ pull till Streight & Level, proceed on course.

Practice this procedure in a remote area often, fly streight and level. Cut/chop the throttle wait for it, in a light aircraft like a 172 it may take 30+ second to bleed of enough energy to stall! in a fast mover or a heavy Trash Hauler it may be instantainious. Practice makes perfect. Learn this procedure it’s a bacon saver. Good Luck.

12 Likes

But how do you even land up in a situation when you spin, in mid air? Sounds interesting ö

Follow the Practice routine as stated Sniper. You’ll Stall, you bet ya. Max

A stall isn’t necessarily followed by a spin. It can just be a symmetrical stall. In this case, reduce nose attitude (in order to reduce the AOA), slowly apply thrust (avoid abrupt variation or you nose attitude will increase) and you’re done.

4 Likes

Wait, power to idle? I thought it would have been full power and pitch down?

If you apply full power straightaway, your nose attitude will increase.

2 Likes

Oh I get it. So it’s to get the nose down then to full power?

Good Catch Axel. (Maintaining energy is the key). It’s a good thing having a professional back stop. That’s what’s great about this community. Regards, Max.

1 Like

Right, if you put power up immediately you could continue to stall.

My mind is blown. Thanks guys, gonna go and test it out myself! :D

1 Like

Anyway, @Maxmustang, this is helpful. Maybe someone could move it to “tutorials”.

1 Like

When flying light aircrafts, increasing throttle to full straightaway may also increase the risk of entering a spin. Because of the propeller action, a thrust increase is followed by a left and upward reaction which need to be counteracted. When you go-around, for example, you must be cautious not to let your attitude increase too much.

Note: reducing the thrust will be filled by a right and downward reaction.

3 Likes

I have heard that some planes (A320 family etc.) have anti stall systems, pushing the nose down when the plane is about to stall. An Air New Zealand test flight crashed because it malfunctioned, killing everyone on board as it couldn’t recover at only 4000ft as opposed to the recommended 16000ft. Does IF have this feature or is my nose going down simply because I don’t have enough speed?

That’s what I always do :(

Nah you’re talking about the super complex fly by wire systems that the Airbus family have. The dev team would not be able to implement that because of how complicated it is (if they want to get it right)

@Benny87654321. Benny who’s your inside man at Airbus Industries design team. I have some stock early insider info is very valuable. Wanna connect me ?

Sorry I meant dev team lol

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.