Lufthansa will not renew its contracts with Condor following a recent change in leadership at Condor

There’s news on Condors and Lufthansa’s relationship under Condor’s new ownership.
Condor has recently become part of the Polish Aviation Group (PGL), the mother company of LOT (read more about it here: Big news for Condor: Investor found!)

A member of Lufthansa’s board of executives said, that Lufthansa will not renew it’s contracts with Condor. This means that, once this contracts expire it won’t be possible to fly Lufthansa to one of their hubs and continue to a Condor flight on a single booking. Obviously this is a big hit for Condor as feeder traffic to Munich and Frankfurt is important with rail connections especially to Munich airport being not really convenient.

More on this development may be found here:

I would be very interested to hear your opinions and thoughts about this!

9 Likes

Why am I not surprised?

2 Likes

I wonder if this will cause Condor to double its efforts in creating its own feeder traffic, or if they are just not capable of that even with there new partners…

2 Likes

This was already rumoured earlier and while LOT is a Star Alliance partner of Lufthansa,
Lufthansa doesn’t really benefit from working with Condor as the are often competitors on those long-haul (and some short-haul) leisure routes (including EW flights).

I don’t see this happen at all. Condor isn’t really a hub-and-spike carrier, with virtually no flights not going from Germany to a leisure destination.

On short-haul they operate to similar destinations from many German cities, enabling customers to reach their dream destinations (very similar to TUI).
On long-haul they’re based at Frankfurt and Munich, where LH is really strong, and offers connections to about every airport in Germany.
I don’t see any place for competition on the intra-German short-haul market into FRA or MUC apart from trains.

While a corporation with Deutsche Bahn, the Main German rail provider might be a good option for Condor, it’s much less convenient for connections and Munich Airport doesn’t even have a long-distance train station.

1 Like

I would agree that they are not that now, but I’m more wondering if as Lufthansa starts to attack more, and more of there leisure destinations, they will, with the backing and help of LOT, become more of a Eurowings compedator, or even more of a Lufthansa compedator. I don’t disagree that it would be tough, but it certainly seems as though now that they’ve fallen out with Lufthansa the leisure market they controlled earlier is under attack, and a strategy rethinking may be needed…

1 Like

I do understand what you mean and it’s a very interesting opinion, but I personally simply don’t see an opportunity for this in the market, especially not now as short-haul flights within Germany are criticised for being especially environmentally unfriendly.

It would be nice to see more competition though, but I simply don’t think this would be a viable business model given the size and importance of Lufthansa Group in Central Europe.

1 Like

You make some good points, and I suppose you would know much more about domestic flights in Germany that me, but I just feel that a strategy re-thinking on some level is in order for Condor. Sure it may not be to outright complete with Lufthansa, but they’ve lost there feeder network, and there quickly getting competition on more and more of there leisure destinations, so I feel like something needs to change, because this doesn’t seem like a winning situation for Condor…

1 Like

This is very true. There were/are discussions about Condor expanding to Eastern Europe, which might be an option. Also some hub-and-spoke like system might be an option at a different airport than FRA or MUC.

We actually can see that this is the case with a very current example, today’s newly announced LH/EW route to Calgary: Eurowings Announces Frankfurt To Calgary

1 Like

I mean now that there in with LOT seems like a fairly good option, dare I say an obvious option, just depends on if they do indeed want to shake up there position as a primarily leisure airline. I know they talked a lot about business connections with there flight here, so clearly that’s already in there head, just depends if they want to throw more weight behind it than some advertisements…

1 Like

Exactly. On short-haul this is not what I feel is the case, …

…,but it’s very interesting to see that at least some long-haul routes are being promoted for business travellers as well. Especially when it comes to routes to the US, this might actually be something which Condor could try to increase, but missing onward connections isn’t going to help at airports where there is direct competition. Probably leisure/business routes to smaller American cities might be in order (and is something we already can see at times).
Very interesting thoughts!

1 Like

Don’t mistake me, they still play up the leisure end of different cities in Europe the flight lets you connect to, and I don’t know how there playing flying to Pittsburgh to Germans, but I know there were talks of how it was an important business connection that Condor said. I’ll try to find it to see exactly what they said…

1 Like

That’s what I read as well. This might be exactly the combination needed to have a viable route. Providing business connections which weren’t there before and opening up opportunities for tourism.

1 Like

Here’s the article, it’s the Condor head of sales answering the question;

Q: You have both business and leisure travelers. Do you focus on one category more than others?

A: Of course we love both. I would say we have more leisure travelers on the Pittsburgh-Frankfurt flight, but we have a great corporate presence for those who want to use the only nonstop flight between Pittsburgh and Germany.

They were in town to meet with local business though, so take that how you will… 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

Very interesting, thank you!

1 Like

To be fair though his answer seems pretty down the middle, kinda just saying there’s demand for the flight, and whoever is using it is good by us because it’s doing well… 🤷🏻‍♂️

1 Like

That’s all it’s about, isn’t it? ;)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.