Lufthansa to Return the 747 to US Service

Image Source

Lufthansa Set to Return the 747 to US Service in March

After the Covid-19 pandemic greatly reduced passenger demand, 747s all but disappeared from the passenger market with many retirements such as the British Airways 747-400. When the passenger numbers started to drop, Lufthansa pulled their 747s from major routes and replaced them with smaller aircraft that had less capacity and more fuel efficiency. Now, Lufthansa is set to return the 747 to US service on the FRA-ORD route starting on March 30th. The route is currently being flown on the A350-900, but starting in March, it will return to the 747-8.

What Does This Mean for the Market?

Obviously, Lufthansa would not have returned the 747 for no reason, as the A359 is cheaper to operate due to its fuel efficiency and reduced capacity. Based on current travel restrictions between Europe and The United States, it seems that the 747-8 will be introduced back to this route for increased Cargo Capacity, not because of increased passenger demand.

How Does This Impact the Passenger Experience?

The return of the 747-8 means that Lufthansa’s first class product will return to the US. The 747-8 carries 8 first class seats located in the forward section of the aircraft. Although the price will certainly be very expensive, this means that there is more choice for passengers when booking, as there is now another premium class besides business. Due to passenger demand, it’s unlikely that all of these first class seats will be filled on these flights, but it brings a first class product to the US in an age where first class is increasingly being phased out.

Sources

Note: This is my first #real-world-aviation topic, so If I did anything wrong, please inform me, and I would be glad to fix it

Thanks for Reading!

27 Likes

Well I thought this was @Ishrion so that should speak about the quality of post.

Not too sure about a return in March for the 748. I think an autumn or winter return would be more suitable when looking at the rona trends

5 Likes

It’s about time they came back . I flew on on the 747’s twice on there service from Chicago to Frankfurt , and Frankfurt to Newark , they were really both good services aswell. Also an good opportunity to see the big bird because I boarded via buses and stairs. Great topic aswell if I may add!

1 Like

Yup. For what it’s worth, I don’t think Lufthansa has actually finalized its March/Summer 2021 schedule.

The 747-8 is likely still a placeholder for now. They’ve also scheduled daily service on FRA-DFW from March 28 but I don’t think that’ll actually happen.

3 Likes

Well, I guess Lufthansa just scheduled my next spotting session

1 Like

cool. it will be amazing to see the queen again from Lufthansa

1 Like

I think they kinda speculate for Biden to reopen the US for travel. That’s at least what I have heard. Another thing is that they are slowly ramping up their long haul service from Munich again, meaning some A359s finally return to their original base after being borrowed by LH for Frankfurt 😁

1 Like

I normally don’t hate my own national carrier, but try out something like Qatar Airways, Turkish or even Swiss and you’ll know that LH doesn’t deserve their 5 star rating. I have flown with them many times, but compared to their daughter company Austrian, LH lacks quality of service, especially now, since they remove meals from medium haul flights

2 Likes

I can basically only repeat what I answered to somebody else already, but their are rimors that Biden wants to reopen the US for international travel as sson as he gets into office. They are also flying their B748 a lot at the moment to destinations like Buenos Aires and Shanghai so I can see demand exist imo

1 Like

I just looked on the schedule for DEN starting on March 28th and it says the 747-400, compared to the A333 we’ve been getting since November. I hope that this stays true as the 744 left as the crisis worsened and we lost the other 744 operator to DEN (BA) unfortunately. This also has set up a nice spotting trip to DEN, as there should be two LH flights and BA that day when the 744 supposedly returns.

1 Like

I’ve heard many things like this , and I do agree myself I’m just lucky that during the time I was served aswell , but one thing I noticed was that check in service and boarding especially when were going to the ramp they need to improve. They can’t just jampack everyone and expect things to go smoothly . Luckily it was an bus gate because the 747-8 that arrived was late from Los Angeles , but lets say if was an gate boarded by jetbridge the wait would of been longer especially since that day the plane was packed no more seats left available. I do appreciate your reply and letting me know what you think . Maybe when this whole pandemic is over I can try some of those carriers out. I just wonder why daughter companies perform better them the main one.

2 Likes

I am not entirely sure but didnt LH retire their B744s?

1 Like

Yeah I find that funny, too. I dont want to hate LH because they really suffered and I hope their food service removal is only temporary, but all the daughter companies are managed separately, so they can mostly decide themselves. I would probably recommned Swiss the most of all LH Group members, as Austrian has only a few destinations in North America. But if you can, try out Qatar Airways. I think they are the best you can get a flight with in Economy.

2 Likes

According to this simpleflying article I found (as well as a couple more with simpleflying) there’s been around 5 retired 744s because of the pandemic. These seem to be lufthansa’s older 744s too.

Here’s another article I found.

1 Like

Yeah I’ll try that when this whole pandemic is over it’s really changed many of plans I wanted to do . Thanks !

2 Likes

Yeah, now that I looked it up again, it seems like there was an insider in September, saying that rhey would retire all B744s and A380s but it wasnt confirmed apperently. I know though that they will also retire some A380s for sure

1 Like

@Capt.SkyWalker what do you think about this? 😄

1 Like

Great to see Lufthansa bringing the 748’s back, even if only on select routes. The Queen of the Skies will be flying again!

4 Likes

Both points are true but the United States is still the massive epicenter. BuenosAires and Shanghai are nothing compared to the spread in the US. If we could just get it down to levels like them, I think the 748 would fare better. If you were to travel to the United States for tourism or family, now is not the time even with a lifted travel ban. Many large cities like New York are shut down pretty bad.

1 Like

That’s unfortunately not going to happen anytime soon:

I would rather go with @Pilot_urp and @Ishrion that many of the equipment listings are still subject to change. That doesn’t mean the B747 won’t be flying to the US for LH soon (probably even in March as currently filed), but if that’s happening I sadly believe it’s going to be solely for cargo and not passenger demand.

4 Likes