Lufthansa reactivates 5 more A340-600s

Source

Lufthansa brings it‘s fleet of A340-600s to 10

Last winter, Lufthansa made the first surprising decision to reactivate 5 A340-600s. D-AIHI, D-AIHP, D-AIHT, D-AIHU, and D-AIHV were ferried from Teruel’s aircraft storage sight to either Frankfurt or Malta, two major Lufthansa Technik sites where they were completely overhauled to make sure any issue that might have arose during deep storage was sorted out.
After the first A340-600s reentered service they initially operated from Frankfurt to North American destinations, for example flying daily to IAD. However, later in the summer, all 5 were then based at Lufthansa’s premium hub in Munich as planned, as Munich was desperately lacking first-class supply since all the remaining LH long-haul aircraft at MUC are A350-900s, none of which feature Lufthansa’s first class. Despite this changing this year when Lufthansa will take delivery of the first A350s with its new first-class cabin, the A340-600s are apparently here to stay for a bit longer despite being expected to only operate during last year’s summer season.

Source

But it gets even better than that: Instead of just keeping the 5 A340-600s operational, Lufthansa is even bringing back 5 more of the quad jets, the longest Airbus aircraft. Again this is connected to increased premium demand, but this time the 5 additional jets will be stationed at FRA. From there the A340-600 is initially scheduled to fly to the likes of New York JFK, Bogotá, and Hong Kong all of which are destinations normally served by A340-300s.

Source

The A340-600 is special for many reasons: Not only is it the longest Airbus aircraft and the 2nd longest aircraft in Lufthansa’s fleet, but it also has some specialties, such as a bathroom in the cargo bay of the aircraft. Additionally, the return of a quad jet is always special, but in the case of the A340-600, this is even more significant. According to ch-aviation, only 10 A340-600s remain operational with only 3 carriers (Lufthansa 5 → 10), Mahan Air (3), and Conviasa (2). The return of just 5 A340-600s will therefore represent a staggering increase of 50% of the total fleet.

Source

The Lufthansa fleet thus remains special amongst the airlines of the modern age with it still including the B747-400, B747-8, A380, A340-300, and A340-600 as quad jets among more efficient widebodies such as the B787-9 and A350-900.

32 Likes

I don‘t want to advertise or anything, but if this isn‘t a reason to vote for the addition of the new Lufthansa livery on the A340-600 I don‘t know what is. In my opinion we should have the most representation possible of the few carriers that are left operating the type:

2 Likes

Reason why i avoid flying the A340-300. The A340-600 is one of my bucket list to try fly on.

1 Like

That’s great news! I’ve noticed from time to time more and more A340-600s leaving Teruel and I’m happy to hear that even more of them will be flying again soon. It is sad that the A346 has become such a rare aircraft, despite them being fairly new. I wouldn’t mind if the remaining 7 LH A340-600s in Teruel joined the others too.

And there’s good reason for it. I have only flown once on a -600 and it was a great experience. I am very happy to see some coming back, even if it’s for a few months or years

1 Like

For me it’s similar. Even though I have barely flown any long-haul flights I really want to start with the special ones such as the LH A380 or A346, since especially the latter isn’t only in the LH fleet on a limited-time basis but also rarer outside of LHs fleet. While I really want to also fly LH’s A380 I could at least still fly it somewhere else when that doesn’t work out while I couldn’t really do that with the A346 considering the politically difficult relations between Iran/Venezuela and Germany.

See this? Lufthansa knows what avgeeks want! :D

1 Like

Me neither ^^ It’s such an iconic aircraft. Every time I see it landing/taking off at MUC I am just fascinated how long and thus huge it looks, even in comparison to the A350-900. It’s such an impressive eye candy.

I just want to visit this bathroom once in my lifetime…

Source

I don’t know why I am so fascinated by this, but chilling in the belly next to cargo seems so funny to me

5 Likes

same tbh. I always thought the idea of downstairs lavatories to be interesting.

especially if it’s the only downstairs part of the aircraft

1 Like

I have been luckily enough to fly on a Lufthansa A346 from MUC to SFO but I was violently ill almost the entire way so spent most of my time in the downstairs bathroom throwing up lol. I also remember sitting on the stairs leaning against the wall clutching some lemonade.

3 A340-600s to be reactivated are already in maintenance according to the fleet module of ch-aviation.

D-AIHW (14.1 years old; maintenance at FRA)

Source

D-AIHY (13.86 years old; maintenance at MUC)

Source

D-AIHZ (13.74 years old; maintenance at MNL)

Source

3 Likes

Don’t forget the Staircase / Stairs on A340-600 hehe. . .

I been on LH A380 many times before pandemic. My seat was 81A or 82A which you get a great window seats. 80A is also good window seat behind the trailing edge of the wings which you get great scenery view and the wings outsource which love to see the dancing ailerons during take-off and landing. But it’s a long walk.

I hope to be able to fly in the upper deck of of the A380 though. I am already saving up and hoping for a reasonable fare which might very well be possible considering that Lufthansa will probably have to stimulate some demand to fill such an aircraft.

1 Like

Yeah I would like to see those, the A340-600 I flew on wasn’t Lufthansa, it was Iberia, and I don’t remember seeing any staircase going down

1 Like

only Lufthansa have the staircase.

As Capt.SkyWalker said only Lufthansa has them. In fact, there is also an additional galley where food and beverages are prepared down there. The food and beverages are than transported upward with a small cargo elevator.
Lufthansa chose this option due to the great amounts of cargo space of the A340-600 due to its length. Back then LH thought replacing some cargo capacity with downstairs lavatories and the galley would be better since they could build more economy seats into the main deck of the aircraft which they deemed easier to fill compared to the cargo space.

2 Likes

Lufthansa A350 looks amazing!