Lufthansa (Eurowings) Announces Frankfurt To Calgary

Lufthansa’s Eurowings will be launching a new destination: Calgary

Lufthansa, using its low-cost subsidiary Eurowings, will launch nonstop service from Frankfurt to Calgary, Canada (YYC).

• The flight launches June 1, 2020.
  • The flight will operate four-times a week on Mondays, Wednesdays, Fridays and Saturdays.
  • LH5452 departs Frankfurt at 9.50 a.m. and arrives in Calgary at 11.55 a.m. local time.
  • The return flight LH5453 departs Calgary at 1.45 p.m. and arrives in Frankfurt at 7.20 a.m. the next day.

This flight will be operated with Eurowings’ A330-200 featuring 22 lie-flat business class seats, 17 premium economy seats, and 231 economy class seats.

Calgary marks Lufthansa’s fifth Canadian destination following Montreal, Toronto, Vancouver, and Ottawa which is set to launch this May.

This flight will compliment Lufthansa’s joint venture partner Air Canada which already operates Calgary to Frankfurt on a 777-300ER.

This is likely an attack on Condor which serve Frankfurt to Calgary seasonally with the 767-300.

Sources

Eurowings A330-200 per Eurowings.
LH PR: https://newsroom.lufthansagroup.com/english/newsroom/all/lufthansa-is-expanding-its-services-to-canada--now-also-direct-flight-from-frankfurt-to-calgary/s/2244842c-5cc1-4927-9105-5632a6a10c4c

This will be Calgary’s fifth foreign airline to operate Europe to Calgary following British Airways, Condor, Edelweiss, and KLM.

Great to see this Canadian expansion by Lufthansa.

8 Likes

Let’s go! (I’m not from Calgary but it’s one of my favorite cities so this is still exciting)

1 Like

I really wonder if this will develop into routes to some other condor markets, especially ones not served by Lufthansa or its partners… 🤔

1 Like

Already happened with Eurowings launching Phoenix and Anchorage and LH launching MUC-SEA in a few months only a few days within Condor’s inaugural MUC-SEA flight.

1 Like

Very interesting. Wouldn’t mind to see some Lufthansa here in Pittsburgh, but not gonna lie, I do like the Condor 76, so definitely fingers crossed that doesn’t disappear anytime soon… 🤞🏻

1 Like

Ooh! I like this route! Well I like any Canadian route. AC already has a route from Calgary to Frankfurt on the 777-300ER. I flew this earlier today! 😆

1 Like

Isn’t Condor upgauging to the A332 at PIT?

OMG! Let’s GOO! :) 😘 More Internation Routes! Love it!

1 Like

3 airlines to Frankfurt not bad. Why not 4? Westjet 😏

1 Like

Technically Eurowings and Air Canada act as one airline with the joint venture.

I wouldn’t be too surprised to see more European expansion from WestJet at Calgary, possibly to Frankfurt. Rome’s starting soon.

Nope. Seemed like that was the plan, but there showing a chartered 76 this summer. I guess they had to shake some things up after the collapse of Thomas cook…

1 Like

Yes, Eurowings. Not bad for a new airline. But one specific airline I want for them to stop codesharing.

ANA, I’m looking at you

2 Likes

I could very well see (and hope to see) ANA or WestJet launching YYC-NRT flights.

Btw, this a relaunch on this route. But, it was Lufthansa before back in 2009 to 2011. Now it’s Eurowings.

2 Likes

Canada yay! Glad to see my home next year expand! image

1 Like

FRA-YYC had an O&D of about 45,000 passengers in 2019 or approximately 124 passengers a day.

Will be interesting to see the sustainability with Air Canada, Condor, and Eurowings and how much traffic is connection-based.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.