Lufthansa Ends All A380 Flights Out Of Frankfurt & Retires Half Of A380 Fleet

Lufthansa is ending all A380 flights out of its Frankfurt hub.

Following the news of Air France’s A380 retirement today, Lufthansa has also made some modifications to its Airbus A380 fleet and network

Around a month ago, Lufthansa announced it would accelerate the retirement six Airbus A380s. Now the airline has increased it to seven A380s, leaving the airline’s fleet with seven remaining A380s.

Along with these changes, Lufthansa will be ending all A380 flights out of its main hub in Frankfurt because it is no longer “logistically and economically” viable to operate the A380 out of two bases.

If Lufthansa returns the A380 to service, they will only be operated out of Munich, likely to routes such as Los Angeles, Hong Kong, and others depending on demand.

“After considering various criteria and against the premise of making Lufthansa competitive in the long term, the company decided that the A380 will only be used from Munich in the future. The Munich A380 will remain parked, the option to reactivate it will still be available for Munich.”

Ironically, Lufthansa’s 14 original A380s were solely based out of Frankfurt until June 2018, when the airline began using its A380s on long-haul routes out of Munich.

Sources/Image

https://airwaysmag.com/airlines/lufthansa-withdraws-a380-from-frankfurt-hub/
https://www.aero.de/news-35486/Frankfurt-droht-Abzug-der-A380-von-Lufthansa.html

Image by Lufthansa.

This is likely the worst week for the Airbus A380 with Emirates rumored to retire 40% of its A380 fleet, Air France retiring all A380s, and now this. Unfortunately, these quad-engine superjumbos may see their end sooner than expected.

22 Likes

As much as I am a Boeing fan, I’m sad for the A380.

F

2 Likes

holds onto my A380 model

“They won’t hurt you, I promise”
😢

3 Likes

Dang, that’s sad. The A380 looks so good in the new Lufthansa livery and to see it go away that fast is pretty insane!

2 Likes

A380 is bout to turn in the dinosaurs pretty soon ;-;

I assume the 748 and possibly 744 will be continuing a lot of the routes that were once with the A380 then?

3 Likes

F

This is a super sad day for The 380!

1 Like

Maybe their upcoming 777-9s

Another one bites the dust

It can be possible, but they also use 4 engines, hence not as efficient as modern planes such as 350’s, 787’s and 777’s. However it is possible that the 74’s will replace the 380’s. For now, I only see 748’s and 744’s operate as cargo flights.

1 Like

Wondering who will be the next one… Emirates, Air Baguette, Lufty…

That’s really sad news as it hits a great flagship aircraft, but even more because of the many, many employees affected. I really hope I will have a chance of a A380 flight with LH at some point even though chances are hard to determine and the ‘if’ being rather big.
Thanks for sharing the news though!

2 Likes

If you mean Air France: They have decided to retire all A380s immediately if I read it correctly.

3 Likes

Exactaly (Guess the Aircraft thread…)

1 Like

I wonder if I’ll even be able to fly on one of these before they get retired.😓

1 Like

Don’t worry, Emirates will still have lots of them

1 Like

Some 748s will likely replace them. There’s currently 3 active and are being used on Lufthansa’s pax flights from Frankfurt to Chicago and Sao Paulo. But I’d say the A330 will be the main long-haul aircraft out of FRA along with a few 748s for some time. Have they started any A350 ops out of FRA or are they still in MUC?

If they take delivery of them…

2 Likes

That’s for sure. Emirates would be my first choice for an A380 flight. Or Etihad. But another on my bucket list is flying the ANA A380 into Honolulu.

1 Like

Happy @AvioesEJogos noises

1 Like

sad avgeek noises

1 Like