LOWW LAPN1W Star

Not sure if this is known, but I have just found that the LAPN1W STAR into Vienna has some very odd altitude points. This goes as below:

LAPNA 8,000ft
NIGSI 18,000ft
BALAD 8,000ft

I am unsure whether this is a typo of whether this is the actual real life arrival procedure, but it is very interesting if it is cause I am currently at 8,000ft with 150 NM to go to LOWW.

2 Likes

I’m guessing that the 8000 limit is the minimum altitude you can fly at. Something similar is at DTW, in some SIDs a 7000 ft limit is followed by a 4000 ft limit.

It’s weird, so I’d just change the altitudes to your liking :)

1 Like

I would think the same if it was that situation, but the fact it jumps up 10k feet and then back down makes me wonder if it is meant to be 8k feet all the way along or whether a 1 was missed before the first point.

2 Likes

Hi, @BP-Aviation!

Infinite Flight obtains this information from NAVBLUE, Airbus’ flight operations software subsidy. Consequently, any abnormalities you may encounter cannot be addressed by IFLLC, and only an update from NAVBLUE will correct this.

If you are not pleased with the altitude on the STAR you filed, Thomas’ solution is the best: changing the altitude manually to your liking.

Apologies for this, but I hope it is not the be-all-end-all. Have a good one!

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty much the case with some arrival procedures. I was flying the VESGA5 arrival into Calgary earlier, the arrival took me from 13,200 feet up to 16,000 and then promptly down to 8000. It also had me at my top of descent about 250 nautical miles out.

1 Like

Cheers mate, thanks for your response, did not know that was how it was input, thought it was manually input (Thinking about that now that would be too time consuming), this thread can now be closed.

2 Likes

As previously mentioned, I think the most likely explanation is that it’s minimum altitude, though I don’t know why it would be minimum altitude for some SIDs and seemingly random altitudes that gradually guide you down for other SIDs.

No worries!

I just took a look at the chart for the LAPNA STAR, and it appears that NIGSI is at both FL080 and FL180 (depending on what this fix is being used for). NAVBLUE has seemingly picked up FL180 as the assigned altitude, which is why that is the altitude reflected in Infinite Flight.

Again, corrections like these cannot be made on Infinite Flight’s end—unfortunately—so a manual input is required to amend the altitude.

3 Likes

I just wanna clarify the wording here a bit. It’s not necessarily what the fix is “being used for,” but rather, it’s simply a Block Altitude along the Arrival that pilots can expect to be at when crossing the fix. Any altitude above 8000ft and below 18000ft is pretty much approved, if clearance to descend via the Arrival is given. ATC can override this as necessary, though.

3 Likes

Ah okay, that does make sense, thank you for your time to look into this! I guess this is just something will have to be dealt with through manual altitude changes. Just wanted to check this was not something that was unknown. Thank you for your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.