LOT Boeing 787-8 struck by lightning; minor damages

LOT flight 045 from Warsaw to Toronto encountered a lightening strike on May 16th which caused minor cosmetic damage to the Boeing 787-8. The flight landed safely and LOT subsequently cancelled and grounded the return journey (LOT 046) in order to fix what damage was done to the aircraft and to inspect it for further damages.

Incidents like these just remind me of how great aviation has gone. For a plane to take a lightning strike and continue flying is just astonishing.

Unfortunately the only link I could find online is in Polish; http://tvnmeteo.tvn24.pl/informacje-pogoda/swiat,27/polski-dreamliner-uziemiony-w-kanadzie-zostal-trafiony-piorunem,202825,1,0.html

Also, if you like the LOT 787 livery check this out:

3 Likes

We/I can’t read polish;)

3 Likes

I know on google chrome you can add a translator that can translate any webpage in any language to English. I highly recommend it for this and future web pages! Its been very useful to me at times.

iPad, safari don’t have that.

But not topic

2 Likes

This happens so frequently, most of the time it doesn’t even affect the aircraft it just continues to fly to its destination.

1 Like

:Peaceful, calm flight:
Lightning: WAPOW!
Pilots: Okay then.

3 Likes

Plane be like NUUUUUUUUUUUU

APPARENTLY SOMEONE HERE HAS SOMETHING AGAINST ME. PLEASE GROW UP AND HAVE A SENSE OF HUMOUR. STOP HINDERING PEOPLE’S PROGRESS TO BECOMING A REGULAR!

2 Likes

Glad it’s they landed safely. Seems that those machines on the wings edge (not sure what they are named) did they jobs to help stop lightning strike the aircraft.

1 Like

The sharp things at the winglet?

Yes I can’t recall what name is called

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.