Losing speed while climbing

While climbing I use to loose speed, usually this happens when flying above FL120 I need help on this as I know I am doing something wrong but I don’t know what!

What speed are you climbing at? How many feet per minute?

1 Like

I have been looking at it and I realized that the problem is steel not the climbing rate. My climb is usally 1800fpm, I’ve tryied lower rates but nothing changes. It sometimes takes me to 250knts at FL340. That drives me crazy. I have been trying to put negative trim to pull down the nose a bit to gain speed but nothing happend.

What’s your weight at? If you’re too heavy you won’t be able to gain speed.

1 Like

Hum I will have a check. Thanks Henrik!

1 Like

Drag increases if you pitch-up. At a point during your climb, thrust < drag. Your speed then reduces. As your speed decreases, lift decreases. As lift & speed decrease, there is a high chance you stall.

Only way to avoid stall: Increase lift and speed. So you take levers to TOGA and pitch down --> You take back speed. As you take back speed, lift increases.

How to avoid this? Climb with a ’ normal ’ VS (max 3200ft/min) at a good speed. For example, don’t try to climb at 3000ft/min at 165kts. In this case, drag will increase, lift will reduce and your plane will stall.

Finally, check your weight and CG.

3 Likes

If your VS is above 4500 at that altitude you might run into this problem. Also as @Henrik_B said if your to heavy you will lose speed.

1 Like

It’s different in every type of aircraft?

Thanks AF330 but tell me where is the TOGA here in IF? And what is CG? Sorry this may sound dumb but I really don’t know.

Hahahaaha no man I would never climb at that speed. My highest was 3600fpm by accident. But thks anyway.

Well fl340 is usually a little slow but. 340 since the air thinner you are going to lose speed. In your climb out you should try climbing to 290knts above 10,000 ft and they the rest will just be normal when loseing speed.

Wait, give me a second to find the TO/GA button in IF -.-

@vitorino_semedo_roch There isn’t such a button in IF. @AF330 often answers with unnecessary info (in this case the stall recovery) using acronyms which seem to be invented by himself.
TO/GA means setting the levers in takeoff/go-around position, which happens automatically in real world. But to be more specific, under certain conditions, on airplanes with underwing-mounted engines, it may be necessary to reduce thrust in order to prevent the angle of attack from continuing to increase.

There are only two things you have to check: weight and VS.
I never fly at those altitudes, but you should be able to climb with 1.000 ft/min maintaining ~290 KIAS.

1 Like

It’s called a “stall” the headwind can’t get even under the wing with the wind above the wing which makes you lose lift, stall, and crash

Remember, the air gets thinner as your height increases. This will give you lower airspeed readings as you fly higher. At about FL340-380, you should be flying at about 250~ KIAS, or, Mach .78, depending on the aircraft.

@JFKPlaneSpotter101 I don’t come to stall, most of the time I put the pitch down to avoid stall. I keep flying stadly but at low speed like FL350 with 300knts.

1 Like

@The_simulation_nerd I think that is what happens. As I look at the airspeed it is low but the ground speed is highier tho I know that ground speed is not relevant when on air

1 Like

Should be somewhere around 450 GS at cruising.

Wait, what aircraft did you use?, because I just remembered I might have had this problem once.

Thanks! :))

By the way, I don’t invent anything.

TOGA = Take-off Go Around Thrust.
It is not a button but a thrust lever position used by Airbus. It’s maybe the same thing in Boeing.

CG = Center of Gravity.

1 Like
  1. Automatically in the real world?
  2. Could you please explain me why AoA increases? In which plane?