Los Angeles Adds 15 New Gates In Latest Airport Expansion

Los Angeles Adds 15 New Gates In Latest Airport Expansion

(Source linked below)

Los Angeles international airport has added 15 new gates in a large expansion of the TBIT (Tom Bradley Intl. Terminal) in hopes to add more gates for the upcoming surge of international passengers as the world recovers from the novel Coronavirus.

The new gate area will include 15 new gates, five levels, and will serve domestic as well as international passengers. The airport says “The new gates were designed around a modern, digitally based travel experience and offer numerous comfortable seating options, with thousands of places to plug in, while accessing next-generation wireless internet, touchscreen kiosks and the most advanced baggage handling and boarding systems of any airport in the United States today.”

“This is the first mega-project at LAX under the leadership and vision of Mayor Garcetti, working with our City Council and our Board, to build a world-class airport – one that will redefine our airport experience,” said Justin Erbacci, Chief Executive Officer, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA). “We are delivering fully modernized terminals, new technology and guest services, and improved connections to our regional transportation system and investing in infrastructure that creates a more resilient airport and an even stronger economic engine for Los Angeles.”

Below, I will attach some photos of some renderings of what the new terminal will be looking like. Construction began in 2016.

https://www.lawa.org/news-releases/2021/news-release-022

25 Likes

I wonder how well it will hold for the surge of travelers this year! I remember flying into LAX back in 2019, I was in terminal 3 and the TBIT was looking different. Can’t wait to see it in full operation!

This is great! When the update comes to Infinite Flight I will finally be able to see KLAX from higher up.

This is great. As a normal traveler through LAX it’s great to have more gates at TBIT. It’ll help decongest waiting areas and the airport as a whole. They’ve been working on TBIT for some time so I’m glad to see it finally coming to fruition.

These are real photos, the terminal is already open and serving passengers.

3 Likes

The new addition is really looking great and it’s fantastic to see more and more state-of-the-art facilities at American airports! Just for clarification, is that the satellite building of the TBIT?

Yes, it is.

1 Like

Just for the record this may take some time, depending on imagery sources, and the availability of buildings/editors as there is a large knock-on effect when changes are made on airports with buildings.

It will be done as soon as possible. Feel free to use this as a reference.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Cool to see this coming out to the world now. I imagine COVID helped in ways to reduce the traffic around the area and not have such a heavy weight of demand on it. Will be cool to see how LAX handles the new terminal, and how it develops over the years!

1 Like

Darn now the IF 3D buildings at LAX Are already out of date

It’s definitely not bad and especially the purple spiral and the high white ceiling look modern, however, this still doesn’t quite look like something that can compete on an international top tier level.
Is the airport private or state-owned?

It’s owned and managed by Los Angeles World Airport, which is affiliated with the City of Los Angeles.

Now for Terminal 0 and Terminal 9
And the skytrain to be completed

The terminal looks amazing! It looks kind of like a Frankfurt and Zürich type of terminal.

Wow! I doesn’t even look like it’s LAX! I want to go there now and see for myself!

1 Like

Very cool!

My eyes have been blessed. (Original TBID is better though)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.