Looking to get into ATC

Erm? He is new and looking for information to learn ATC. You must pass a written test in order to do training sessions.

Anyway, you can watch the tutorial on YouTube provided by IF.

Or you can go to #tutorials:atc and the information are there, too.

I’d also like to add you need to be in this as well (listed in the requirements for training):

I mean, if he just wants to learn the basics of ATC, sure. But I think he means being ATC on Expert as well.

1 Like

I think what @Gabe_Z means is that you provided him with the link for ATC Training, which is only for those who have attempted a written exam. The other link, the ATC Recruiting, is indeed the right place for starting the IFATC journey.

@Aegaeus_Mengsk, as long as you’re grade 2, you may control on the training server. However, I implore that you read the ATC Manual and watch the YouTube tutorials beforehand, in order to provide a good experience and to keep pilots from getting mad at you. Good luck! :)

1 Like

Actually, even grade 1 pilots can control on the training server :/.

2 Likes

Can they? I was under the assumption that you had to be grade 2 to be on TS…

You have to be grade 2 to control the training server atc

1 Like

That’s what I thought. I’ll double check after I land, though.

1 Like

I think it’s true indeed that with all grades you can control on TS. IFATC can also control on expert with grade 1, fortunately haaha

Say again?

The requirements to be IFATC are a minimum of grade 3, so I’m not sure where you got that…

3 Likes

Mate you might need to look that up again

No you don’t, I have controlled on the Training Server as a grade 1 before. If you don’t believe me, you can try it out yourself.

Well I was grade 1 and it said no atc access

Yes the requirements are that you should have access to expert server along with minimum of 500ops. But once we pass our IFATC testing process and join the team,we are given access to expert server,and it cant be removed unless done manually. So yes,an IFATC can control even at grade 1. But you cant control on TS as grade 1 because its system implemented and restricts the access automatically,while restrictions from controlling on expert server is done manually.

7 Likes

I think you are referring to the Expert server. That’s not what I’m talking about, I’m talking about the training server. The Air Traffic Control on the training server is accessible by anyone, no matter what grade you are.

You can control on the training server as a grade 1, if you don’t believe me try it out and tell me what happens.

When I looked at the requirements for the ATC section of the training server, it said grade 2. I’m also curious as to how you propose us to check, as we’re all most likely grade 3 and above?

I’m sorry if I’m escalating this any further, but are you able to provide me a screenshot through PM that says in the ATC section you need to be grade 2 to control on the Tranining server @TaipeiGuru? I’m just curious to know because I was able to control in the past as a Air Traffic Controller on the training server as grade 1 :/.

1 Like

Server requirements were changed a while ago, it did use to be Grade 1 but was changed to Grade 2

This is also shown in the Server Requirements in the app itself

So to support with @Aegaeus_Mengsk original question (welcome to IFC by the way!) you will need to do some flying on Casual Server in order to meet the requirements to access the Training server and thus begin your ATC journey

2 Likes

Welcome to this community. Hope you’ll stick around and contribute.

With the Live environment Air Traffic Controlling is a great way of interacting with other pilots and providing a service for them at airports. To all the tips, I want to add my recommendation to become a good ATC.

1. Step 1. Fly! Become a good pilot. Be able to control that aircraft, know how high to fly, how to approach an airport, understand the Pattern, know how and when to request a transition, learn what an ILS Approach is, know how to exit over a parallel runway, etc. Check out the #tutorials section for lots of good info.
  2. As @Gabe_Z suggested: study the ATC training videos. Watch them 5 times to fully understand. Focus on the Ground, Tower Arrivals, Tower Advanced, Sequencing, etc
  3. Search this forum for the Golder Rules of controlling and start controlling.
  4. Focus on Tower and Ground. Leave Radar controlling for later. Forget about KLAX, KSFO, etc because (1) they get too busy and (2) the percentage of bad pilots is too high.
  5. When you want feedback from the community on your controlling, create an ATC tracking thread.

Once you’re at step 5, and you’re getting good feedback, and you’re still enjoying it, it may be a good time to apply to join the IFATC team, take your theory and practical controlling test and continue your controlling career on Expert server.

Have fun 😊

9 Likes