Looking for a career in aviation

Good morning! I know this is a really weird topic in terms of being vague but I thought I would ask my community of fellow aviation enthusiasts. Recently I have been thinking about branching out and becoming an entrepreneur. There are so many benefits of being one and I want a job I would truly love.

Here is the problem though… I don’t know what to do haha.

I know I want it to be focused on aviation but what exactly… i don’t know. I thought about a YouTube channel for plane spotting (noy just your average stuff, I would do professional content), building RC planes, making Die-cast airplanes and so much more.

I would be down to do a lot as long as it is aviation focused. I came to this community for ideas. For your thoughts and experience if you have any.

I may be slow to respond due to being at work but I appreciate any suggestion and will be sure to respond to all of you. Let’s blow this thread up and just have a good day discussing aviation!

Tyler

2 Likes

For me, I would probably go down the pilot path, if not, I have no clue.

Would you consider going down the pilot path?

1 Like

In terms of making it a business I would recommend airplane spotting or airline reviews aswell me personally, i dont follow the DIY stuff it gets kind of boring sometimes but if you are from el Salvador I know there is some beautiful places there to fly over

1 Like

I don’t know why you’d rather spot the plane when you could fly the plane

3 Likes

Idk think whats more cheaper

1 Like

A pilot makes more money

2 Likes

Air traffic control is also a great option. You get to work with planes and get some pretty good benefits

2 Likes

Well, yes, they do, however, to go into aviation, it costs quite a lot of money, of which some people do not have, so starting an airline review or trip report channel might be easier, because the more popular it gets they would be able to start making money, and when they have enough to possibly put into flight training then maybe they do that.

It isn’t about how much you make, it is about enjoying what you love doing, what makes you happy, what makes you say, "I love my job!"

1 Like

If you’re seriously considering a career in aviation (which I would personally recommend), try not to focus on things like money and benefits. Instead, finding a part of aviation you absolutely love, and doing it to the maximum. There are so many opportunities in this industry that present themselves if you’re open enough. My recommendation is to do what you like, meet people, and see what materializes over the course of your career.

5 Likes

I haven’t looked into any of the careers you mentioned however If you wanna get involved in stuff like infinite flight or just online games in general you should pursue a degree in code or design. Real world flight I’ve found there’s a ton of jobs working in ground opreations or you can go to school to become a pilot.

2 Likes

The paths you mentioned are definitely cool, but they won’t guarantee you an income. If your up for it, be a ramp or gate agent.

1 Like

I would love to go down that route but there are multiple factors to why I can’t. For one it’s beyond expensive and you make barely any money until you a well established pilot. Plus the schedule is so beyond hectic that it would be impossible for me to have what I want most, a family. Believe me, I would love to be looking out a cockpit window talking to my copilot but I need something more stable and supportive of a family. Thank you so much for your advice!

2 Likes

Thank you for your suggestions. I really do need to update my bio. I moved back to the United States but yeah you are right there would be some awesome things to photograph in El Salvador. I really am strongly thinking about plane spotting

Believe me, I completely agree. But while I intend to eventually get my Private pilot’s license, flying commercially Is not in my future read above.

1 Like

I’ve always wanted to be an air traffic controller! It would be awesome but like a pilot I hear their schedules are not consistent and with a family in my future , I need a stable shiftb

Aviation is a broad spectrum. The upcoming electric aerial taxis such as Lilium and delivery drones are going to be a multi billion dollar industry in the next decade. Yet here in May 2021 the industry is in its infancy.

Definitely space for journalists / bloggers to cover the growth of that part of the industry if that interests you.

1 Like

You said it right Do what you love! And that’s a good idea I will definitely think over no joke. Thank you.

If you’re interested you could also work at the FBOs or something route planning at the airlines are a few suggestions that I have.

I never thought of route planning, I’ll have to look into that. I can’t even imagine how to start that route

1 Like

I guess it’s official name is airline operations. It sounds pretty interesting!

1 Like