Longer Approaches

I have wanted to practice approach and landings from further out than the landing option on solo. Is there any way to do this without having to go through a full flight? If not I think that they should add an option in solo where you can spawn at any location and any heading and altitude. This would really help with practicing a full approach.

1 Like

Fly on expert server during FNF and ATC will give you a 50 mile final

3 Likes

Yes, but you would still have to do a taxi, takeoff and climb.

Sadly it’s not. However what you can do is to spawn in an area where there are a lot of airports for example Los Angeles. Take off from an airport, choose another airport where you want to land, approach the airport, Touch-And-Go and then choose the next airport in the near vicinity. That way you don’t have to do full flights with the length of an hour. I would do that on Solo or Casual server though where there are no restrictions and no ATC.

6 Likes

Have you tried by any chance the spawning option of a half approach infinite flight gives you ?

Have you tried yet that ATC gave you a 50 mile final? Recheck it might be training server.

6 Likes

I have and that’s fine but it sets you up on the glide slope and what I really need to practice is intercepting it from a cruising altitude.

1 Like

It was expert unfortunately. Busy day at San Juan.

@DiscoPanda… MaxSez. Solo is not the vehicle to practice anything. other than a short final intentionally. It’s designed to allow the observation of your landing technique; Angle of Attach, Speed at Threshold, Flare, Touch Down, (boogies first/rear wheels) first, Nose Wheel, Deceleration, Exit Speed etc. @Marc has the right idea try it.
Suggest you Practice on the main program it has a replay complete flight feature. “Replay” on the main screen records every flight from start to end. The replay has all the bells and whistles as SOLO, to include, Reverse, Slowmo etc. REPLAY is a better system than SOLO for your cited purpose. Try it you’ll like it.
Max

3 Likes

@Prasoon_S… Oh Contraire my friend, You can get a 50 Mile Approach not a Final. You’ll find the definition of Approach, Final ect by research before you put pen to paper. Ya gotta walk the walk ect.
Google is your Friend. (PS: TOD to ILS intercept is researchable to include altitude, angle ect.)
(@HarryH1… Not a “Final” Harry… Google is yr friend)

1 Like

It was final. Approach ATC told me to intercept the localizer at around 3,500 feet like 30 miles out of the marker on runway heading.

then he switched me to tower…on expert server…

then i realized that I couldn’t contact tower cuz I was too far out

Not to argue here @HarryH1. Research the terminology. Your misinterpreting. If you still think your right after a search contact me by PM… I’ll sprain it to ya… G’day, Max

3 Likes

That’s what m saying. Approach can give a 50 mile approach not 50 mile final and with runway heading? Ehh, really not. Approach controllers can’t give less than 10° intercept for ILS/GPS approaches,ns usually 30° is their target. You need to checkout server,it would really be training server @HarryH1

1 Like

@Prasoon_S
My bad. You are right. It was on training server.

Hi,

If you want to practice full ILS approaches I’d just spawn at an airport, takeoff, climb to 4000AAL, set up on a downwind about 8NM out from the airport, about 15NM from the runway threshold I’d turn base and descend to 3000AAL, then turn to intercept the localizer. This will give you the full ILS approach without having to fly a full flight ;)

–Jakub

1 Like

Yes and it should be limited to there. Not for expert server where all things happens as per real life proceedure you can’t get a straight in approach for ILS/GPS vectors. If you experience it contact any supervisor or Tyler to sort it out.

1 Like

@Prasoon_S…

A definitive statement, For a straight in; Try requesting “visual approaches” and get a straight in. “Runway in sight” is/should be the trigger. Pilot discretion with a switch to tower is/should be the following norm consistently on Expert. No vectors from Approach desired or required here, Regards,Max

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.