Long-Haul Flight - When to do it?

Hi guys !

Just a question for people getting only 1 device (mobile phone mainly), and playing IF, if you are doing some, when do you generally start your long-haul flight ?
Usually, I start mine before starting to work, and just checking sometimes if everything is good.

But what about starting before going to sleep ? There is no danger for example that the A/P disconnect itself and generate the aircraft begin to stall, or violations for exemple ?

Please, tell my when do usually start yours, and your experience about that point !

2 Likes

I start mine before I go to bed. Always! Rarely do I do long hauls during the day.

8 Likes

For 99.9% of long hauls I always operate them overnight so I actually can sleep. Depending on the length of the flight I do some calculations on when I should wake up to descend and land.

2 Likes

I usually do a long haul when I have considerable amounts of free time (i.e. weekends/school breaks). Matter of fact, I’m going on a Tour de World over my Christmas break from school. 89 legs, 183 hours, and some 72,000 nautical miles.

8 Likes

Oh really nice ! And don’t you ever have any problem of violations, report, or anything else ?

1 Like

Nope, never had!

1 Like

Great, you are acting like a real profesionnal captain haha ! Thank you for your comment !

1 Like

I trust the autopilot and do overnight flights. I have heard about incidents where it did disconnect and people got violations. This doesn‘t stop me from doing overnight flights though, at least until this happens to me as well.

1 Like

Yes, I acting more like you. I hope your World Tour will be successful and hope you to see great landscapes !!

Strange to think that the AP is somewhat capable of turning off itself🤔

Either way, I’ve never had big problems overnighting.

1 Like

I can hit you up with a pic of my completed flight plan if you wanna see 👀

1 Like

That’s really great for you !

1 Like

Yes, It actually happened with me but only one time, I tried to investigate, but i never find the reason… I hope I touched my screen accidentally but not 100% sure…

In fact, it happens to me only one time, but now I am a little bit afraid about that, don’t want to start a long-haul flight before sleepling, and waking up seeing 5 violations, and my aircraft crashed hahaha.
But I hope this happened because I accidentally touched my screen but not really sure !!

Oh yes, it will be a pleasure !

.Normally just before bed on weekends and breaks and i wake up to land the next morning. To avopid an accidental disconnect of autopilot I use Windy.com to monitor upper atmosphere wind conditions to make sure.

1 Like

I never thought abour using windy, it is a really great idea ! Thank you

Most people I’ve heard on the forum say, is that they for a majority of the time, fly Long Haul during nighttime. When they are asleep, in no need to have their device in their hands to work on other tasks, during the night, when they sleep, the plane fly, and they land when they wake up.

While others prefer to fly during day time, when they can keep an eye on the flight, to ensure that everything is going as planned, no hiccups occurring.

What about me? I have racked up thousands of hours, but when do I personally fly?

70-75%, a majority of the time, it is during the day, mainly because, I set up a flight before going to school, and land when I come home. I set up a flight in the morning or day time so I know that nothing unexpected occurs to the flight.

Now I used to fly nighttime a lot more 1-2 years ago when Global launched, and the year following after that, 2018. But I realized, that my sleep is more important, and hence why I fly during day time, mostly, except a few weekdays and weekends, when I fly both day and nighttime.

1 Like

It may or may not be cut off I don’t know

1 Like

Thank you for your comment. It shows me that both are possible, depending some criterias. The hidden question of this topic was “Can I start a long-haul flight before going to bed” and you perfectly answer to it. Thank you so much !

1 Like