Long Haul Cockpit visits

So on my trip to India in two days, I’d like to get to the cockpit. The four aircraft I’ll be taking are the Emirates a388, Emirates 77W, Qatar a332, and Qatar a350-1000. First up, is the a380 cockpit on the second floor? And also my main question- do pilots allow long haul cockpit visits or no? Like when in the flight should I ask? And there’s gonna be a lot of people but this will probably be my last time on the a380 (and my first) so does anyone know?

4 Likes

It’s kind of in between, but primarily on the first floor. You can access it from both floors though, as there are stairs.

Flight deck visits are up to the airline, but your best bet would be to ask a flight attendant and inform them of your passion for aviation. If everything works out, you should be able to visit at the end of the flight, assuming there aren’t any airline regulations against it.

It also depends on when you board the aircraft. Either way, you have a chance, just communicate with the cabin crew.

9 Likes

Emirates let me visit their 77W cockpit a couple years ago and even let me sit in first class for the last hour of the flight since it was empty! Just ask nicely and say you love aviation and you should be fine.

7 Likes

Thanks @Will_A and @Thomas I will probably ask a nice flight attendant like 1 hour b4 landing… we’ll see what happens :)

1 Like

Flew from JFK to Dubai on A380 3 years ago and just before disembarking the plane, I asked the pilots and cabin crew if I can explore the cockpit. And gladly they said yes!

1 Like

Awesome! Good to know :)

1 Like

Cockpit visit:

At the gate before take off/ after landing: Yes
During flight: No

… The cockpit is 4 steps up from the main deck.

4 Likes

I would like to say Neither Qatar Airways or Emirates allows for people to enter the cockpit before or after flights. I have family that flies for both and we haven’t been allowed to view the cockpit

1 Like

Hey there,

Cockpit visits are an awesome experience for an avgeek and I’ve been lucky enough to experience a few my self, several on long haul flights! One of the most notable one’s was when the crew of the Cathay Pacific A350 operating Hong Kong to New York let me spend almost 20 minutes in the cockpit and hang around for the shutdown procedure. They even let me take some photos, though always check with the crew if they’re ok with you taking photographs (some airlines don’t allow it). I requested the head flight attendant mid flight when the cabin crew weren’t to busy, and just told her that I really love aviation and it would be amazing if I could have a chat with the pilots, whenever they’re free and happy to have me. She said she’d check with them and sure enough, she said they’d be happy to have me once we land. Most crews, both long and short haul are happy to have you in the cockpit, unless company or safety policies don’t allow for it. In all my experiences, I’ve never been denied a cockpit visit, so I’d say your chances are quite high, just make sure you ask nicely and are respectful when having such an amazing experience!

Good luck!

3 Likes

Thanks so much for the info you guys!

From what I know also, EK won’t allow it based upon policy but the pilots may decide to allow it. It’s worth asking I guess

1 Like

Just to add what @Chatta290 said. This is true, they may not allow you in, due to policy. I’ve tried a few times whilst flying Emirates and was unfortunately unsuccessful. The best thing to do is ask a member of the cabin crew before hand.

1 Like

Yeah, I’ll try to do that. Fingers crossed! I have only been to the cockpit once, and it was during a fuel stop where everyone got off but me my dad and a few others stayed on for the leg to Indianapolis. This was in Atlanta on Southwest. Here are the pictures of it, I was really young

3 Likes

I haven’t had the courage to ask on any other flights and I didn’t think of it but I’ve been on some cool planes. Also tomorrow when I fly the a388, it will be the first and quite possibly the last time a fly a 4- engined beast. The chances of me going on a 747-8 are very low so…

You should also ask!* The worst they can say is no, but the best outcome is that you get the best experience of your life.

*Only ask if it’s appropriate. If the crew is busy I recommend you ask at a later stage.

1 Like

Rip. I’ll see what I can do

1 Like

Feel free to ask me anything about Qatar Airways! I’ll be sure to answer ;)

2 Likes

Does your dad fly the A350 and has he flown to Philadelphia before with Qatar airways?

2 Likes

I already know he won’t tell you what plane he flies. However, my dad works for Qatar Airways as a captain. And it’s a security breach if it is mentioned. Not sure why tho tbh

1 Like

The cockpit is accessible from the first floor only

Be aware you might have personally ask a FA since you may be forced to exit by a nearer air bridge. Happened to me on an A330, we exited before the business class and I was too shy to ask back then :/