Long Flights

When you guys do really long flights like 10+ hours do you sleep while your cruising and hope nothing goes wrong or how do you handle those flights?

2 Likes

I usually reach cruise, make sure everything is looking good then head to bed. However, sometimes I do the flight in the day time and stay awake.

8 Likes

Nice have to do one when I’m on break or during the summer!

1 Like

As soon as i get cruise i leave and do whatever, i know my AP won’t turn off, i know i am at the proper ALT. But planning for me takes 40 minutes 😂😂 getting my FLP together, checking winds so on and so fourth

6 Likes

Once I’ve reached cruising altitude and I’ve engaged NAV mode I go to sleep and set an alarm for Approach just incase I oversleep.

If your doing an overnight flight. DON’T FORGET TO TURN ON NAV! I did that once and ended up running out of fuel and crashing😂😂😂

2 Likes

You engage NAV when you reach cruise? You know you can just engage it as soon as you takeoff. 😅

5 Likes

I follow from takeoff to landing I usually take long flights when I have nothing good to do

2 Likes

Usually the only time I would have to sleep when doing a long flight is if I’m attending a fly out which is at night time for me.

I do pretty much the same. I can’t do step climbing which is a slight problem. I also need to know what time I need to wake up in case my ETA is early morning so I can start doing a mini brief and descent in preparation for landing

2 Likes

No need for alarms😉 It’s a game of risk with me, i oversleep while then i crash if i don’t i am good

6 Likes

I Takeoff, check my ETA to my destination to get a good idea how early I need to wake up, monitor climb, set my speed to an appropriate speed, head off to bed with my iPad charged and take proper precautions so my iPad doesn’t heat up, count the sheep and drift off to bed before landing in the morning. 😉

5 Likes

Pretty much what I do yeah

2 Likes

I always handle the flight until I have been in cruise for about 30 minutes. Once I’ve been in cruise that certain amount of time and see nothing goes wrong, I left my IPad and I go to bed. Be careful with your speed! Don’t put your speed near your overspeed limit because if you get a strong winds while sleeping, it might result in a violation (if overspeeding results in violation… I’m not 100% sure) but yeah that’s pretty much it. Set everything professionals in cruise and you will be ok to sleep in those long flights

2 Likes

I usually fly long hauls at night so I can wake up and just land the plane in the morning . But I always check my iPad like 3 to 4 times before I go to sleep because I always worry that my tablet or charger will overheat when I’m sleeping. Yes I overthink to much which sucks but at the end of the day it always works out.

1 Like

I have never done a long haul, but when I have a long flight, I play on a separate device, XBox, Computer, etc.

1 Like

The over speed violation depends on your airspeed, or IAS. The wind affects your ground speed, and has no relation to the airspeed. You won’t get a violation if strong gusts come along while you’re close to the overspeed limit (no idea why you’d be going that fast, though).

1 Like

True, i was going 600kts once i was zooming through the sky got to my destination almost 2 hours earlier then anticipated

1 Like

I usually put my phone on the charger as I get ready for bed, make one last check as I get in bed to make sure all of the instruments are okay, and then go to bed. When I wake up, most of the time, my plane is still flying.

1 Like

I usually set my long hauls for at night but I kind of chance it since I watch videos on my phone which also runs IF so I’ll get everything in my flight set then tab over to YouTube then after the video (or if it’s a long video I’ll check part way through the vid) I’ll check my flight, let it reconnect to the internet and run for a few minutes then go back to the vid and repeat that.

1 Like

I usually take off literally just before I sleep, and reach about 12,000ft. Once I know my FPL is on track, NAV on, speed 320 (jet), and alt set, i head to bed, after 546 full flights, I haven’t had one issue… well one, but that was in my behalf I rushed off and the ALT was turned off in a Dash 8… i found myself with a ghosting at 34,000ft 🤣

1 Like

Depends on the flight, departure time and its duration. I usually only fly real world routes with the same type of aircraft (SQ/SIA B77W), like SQ631/SQ634/SQ635/SQ636. I’m at a period now where I am going around to explore the other routes, but with a different aircraft. In fact, you can catch me at the training server now flying just above the Andaman Sea in the training server(had 5 violations after not paying attention, sleeping and forgetting to set the auto throttle:(, I deserved it though) as SQ26 (SQ26 - Usually done by a A380).

But I digress, on flights like these (Departure at night), I would come here and read some posts and topics and see whats going on in the IF community. See if there are any events I can participate in and start fitting it into my life schedule. Right now, my exams are coming up so, I’ve already prepared the jug load of coffee that’s just waiting for me. Of course, on other nights, since its night time, I might also just go to bed and sleep.

If it is flights departing morning or in the afternoon, it will depend on duration. If I arrive on the same day (SIN-HND as SQ634) then I’ll probably head out to do my day’s activities and then come back to descend and land or, if I don’t have much to do, monitor the flight and study at the same time. If I arrive the next day (SQ326) then I will just try to stay up or rest, and then land, prepare the flight back, pushback and takeoff when scheduled time is up. I’ll just be tired after that so I’ll probably hit the bed hard (these flights for me are exceptionally rare).