London City To Be Reconnected With Antwerp

Perhaps the most influential route of Antwerp is making its return.

After a two year absence, the two small airports will be reconnected at the start of next year. But this time a little differently. Historically it’s always been Belgian airlines flying this route, but now it will not be, in fact it won’t even be a British carrier.

Credit: Leo Sheng.

That’s right, the flag carrier of Luxembourg, Luxair, will reconnect the two cities after two years.

The History Of The Connection:

To understand the importance of this route, we will need to travel back almost 30 years.

It all began with the creation of the Belgian airline VLM, an abbreviation for “Vlaamse Luchttransport Maatschappij” or “Flemish Air Transport Company” in English. Their very first route was in fact Antwerp - London City, which they operated with Fokker F50 aircraft. This route would be flown without change apart from the occasional flight with a leased BAe-146, between 2008 and 2018 when Cityjet flew it, and when they ceased operations shortly from 2016 to 2017.

After the demise of VLM, a new airline was established in Antwerp under the fitting name “Air Antwerp”. They would take over a single Fokker F50 from former VLM and re-establish the connection between Antwerp and London City. The connection was however short lived, as sadly Air Antwerp ceased operations shortly after the pandemic struck. In their short history they only operated this sole route.

The re-establishment:

And now we return to present day, roughly two year after the demise of Air Antwerp.

A few days ago, the Luxembourgish airline “Luxair” announced it would start flights between London City and Antwerp.

The route is scheduled to start on the 16th of January 2023 and will utilize the Dash-8 Q400 aircraft, of which Luxair has plenty in their fleet. The airline plans to fly to the 2nd biggest Belgian city four days per week, with a 5th day being added in the summer of 2023.

Winter 2023:

• Monday and Tuesday: LG4681, London - Antwerp, 06:40 - 08:40 (local times).
  • Monday and Tuesday: LG4682, Antwerp - London, 09:15 - 09:15 (local times).
  • Thursday and Friday: LG4683, London - Antwerp, 17:05 - 19:05 (local times).
  • Thursday and Friday: LG4684, Antwerp - London, 19:45 - 19:45 (local times).

Summer 2023:
Addition to the above schedule.

• Wednesday: LG4683, London - Antwerp, 17:05 - 19:05 (local times).
  • Wednesday: LG4684, Antwerp - London, 19:45 - 19:45 (local times).

I am personally excited to see this historic route make a return, albeit not with a Belgian carrier this time. I’m certainly hoping Luxair sees enough success to keep this route going for the foreseeable future. What about you, what are your thoughts on the return of this route?

More about this news here:

More about Luxair here:

More about Antwerp Airport here:

More about London City Airport here:

14 Likes

Interesting. Will be interesting to see if this route performs as well as it did in the past.

1 Like

Interesting connection being put back into service. Unfortunate LCY won’t be seeing the Fokker 50 back though! :p

2 Likes

I’m certainly keeping my fingers crossed. It’s not the first time this route has been re-established, but I’m hoping it won’t need to be again.

Another airline doing it wouldn’t hurt of course.

@Ecoops123 Unfortunate indeed, I doubt we’ll ever be getting those little birds here again sadly. Still mad at myself for not taking the chance of spotting 'em.

Update:

The first Luxair flight has landed at Antwerp just moments ago.

LG4681 (LGL4681) operated by LX-LQI landed right on time in the rainy Belgian weather after about a 45 minute flight from London City.

Welcome to Belgium Luxair!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.