London City Airport Becomes A Balloon Launch Pad

This morning, 30 Hot Air Balloons took to the sky’s from one of London’s Major Airports (London City Airport.) These balloons launched for the 30th “Lord Mayors Hot Air Balloon Regatta (Sponsored by Ricoh)” , yet this is the first time that they have launched from the airport! 2017 is the airports 30th anniversary since opening in 1987 and The RICOH Lord Mayor’s Hot Air Balloon Regatta will start these celebrations in style.

Exclusive Ballooning has brought mainstream hot air ballooning into the heart of London over recent years with balloons at Buckingham Palace, the Tate Modern, the Guildhall, Exchange Square and famously flying underneath Tower Bridge for Disney in 2009, and now balloons launching from the historic London City Airport. Chief pilot Andrew Holly was bestowed the Freedom of the City for his work within marketing and fund raising with hot air balloons – using them to help clients raise over millions of pounds for various charities. The company has currently raised £7,000,000 over the years and is rising.

(Photos from my Dear Friend at Exclusive Ballooning)

The Official Regatta Balloon

The New London City Airport Balloon

Exclusive Ballooning Balloon

Out of these 30 balloons, most of them were cooperate sponsored balloons, but there were also 3 special shapes this morning.

• Simballo The Longleat Lion
  • The Ultramagic Owl
  • Ricoh Red Rube

Hopefully we can do this again next year as it doesnt affect air traffic (LCY closes Saturday at Lunchtime till Sunday at Lunchtime (So balloons dont afftect it)

23 Likes

That would be amazing to see! Make it look like Bristol wth all those balloons.

3 Likes

I see the hit air balloon for the company I work for😁😁 image

The renishaw one, orange one, second one nearest to us in line.

4 Likes

Now that would be a sight to see. Really cool, thanks for sharing!

1 Like

Looks amazing, however, did this not affect EGLL/LHR in any way?

1 Like

Not that im aware of… Especially that it was 6 AM… But I think the pilots were given an altitude restriction of like 700 (or less)

1 Like

That looks so awesome, thanks for showing us this amazing event @Balloonchaser 😍

1 Like

Absolutely beautiful! London City sure knows how to put on a show! Wonderful to see

1 Like

Youtube video of the launch by London City Airport! :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.