Live instruments

Hello! Can someone explain to me what (TERR) (WXR) & (PLN) means? And maybe BARO & HPA aswell?

3 Likes

Certainly!

(TERR) is short for terrain mode on an aircraft’s navigation system. When this mode is engaged, the system displays a color-coded representation of the surrounding terrain, which can help pilots avoid flying too close to the ground.

(WXR) stands for weather radar, which is an instrument used by pilots to detect and track weather conditions, such as precipitation and turbulence, in the vicinity of the aircraft.

(PLN) usually stands for flight plan. It is a detailed plan that pilots create before a flight, which includes information such as the planned route, altitude, and estimated time of arrival. (Hopefully you know that)

BARO and HPA both refer to atmospheric pressure, which is an important factor in aviation. BARO is short for barometric pressure, while HPA stands for hectopascals, which is a unit of pressure commonly used in aviation. Pilots use the aircraft’s altimeter, which measures pressure, to determine their altitude above sea level.

5 Likes

WXR is your weather radar.
TERR means terrain.
PLN means your flight plan.
HPA is your barometric pressure, this can be found using your altimeter or your pressure altitude at your departure/arrival airfield.
BARO measures the pressure around you iIrc.

3 Likes

Thanks guys, appreciate it! Ya’ll know your stuff, thats for sure haha.

2 Likes

No problem at all, I’m glad I could help! Your kind words mean a lot, and I’m happy to know that I was helpful to you. Don’t hesitate to reach out if you need assistance again in the future.

1 Like

I just wanted to adress this aswell. just to start with, i have an iphone 13 pro max. does anyone know if this is a common problem? This was in australia on expert server.

I sure will, thanks again!:)

Yes, textures might fail to load properly. However, you can fix this by simply restarting the session. Give that a try, and the problem should be resolved. If it persists, reach out to support@infiniteflight.com

2 Likes

BARO stands for Barometer

BARO is basically the atmospheric pressure. It has two modes - IN and HPA. They stand for “Inches of mercury”, commonly used in the Americas, and “Hectopascals”, used by the rest of the world. Typically you set the BARO values when you’re on the ground, by listening to the ATIS. When they say “QNH 1012” or “Altimeter 2992”, that’s how you get the values to be dialed in through the knobs. Then you push the “STD” button on the knob when you’re above your transition altitude, which means standard atmospheric pressure.

1 Like

Thanks man! Well explained

1 Like

Since we are first at it i might aswell ask what mtrs and adf 1 means, Does anyone know?:)

ADF, or automatic direction finder, is a type of navigation radio system that continuously shows a bearing/direction to a station. Im not sure where you are seeing mtrs, but my first guess would be Military Training Routes.

1 Like

Okay thanks! Appreciate it

If you look next to BARO it’s a button and MTR is meters value. Primarily used in China.

Edit: also in Mongolia, North Korea, Russia, and one other I believe.

1 Like

May i ask why you said primarily used in china?

1 Like

Cause everywhere else I believe they used feet.

2 Likes

Aha i see! Thank you:) appreciate it

To add on…
This was the primary way of locating an aircraft in the early to mid 20th century and is still used in remote places with un-upgraded machinery
(You can fly like this in IF aswell)

1 Like

Why is pressure so important in avation?