Lion Air 610 What Went Wrong - Very Fascinating

Stumbled across this report given by the New York Times about Lion Air 610. It’s a minute by minute read through of what investigators believe happened and how to prevent this in the future.

New York Times Link

What are your thoughts?
-J

8 Likes

This is very interesting, and I honestly have never seen an interactive website like this before! With regards to the crash, it has always saddened me that this was extremely preventable. But that’s a sad fact with the industry, changes are usually written in blood.

3 Likes

I hear exactly what you’re saying. From this report it does seem completely preventable. Thanks for your feedback.

2 Likes

tru, I just think it was boeing’s falt for not making the pilots not aware of this new system. The only way if they were informed about this was just disable auto-pilot. Either way not indonesia’s bad record, but a problem with the aircraft that went undetected.

3 Likes

I can totally see that. I hate when it seems pinned to the Pilots when they can’t defend their actions and what seems is Boeing is trying to cover their tracks.

2 Likes

Love that website design and how they make the reader easy to understand.

3 Likes

Disabling the autopilot would be of no use in this situation. The only way to stop the uncommanded and erroneous stab trim commands was to move the stab trim switches to cut off to take it out.

3 Likes

Very interesting! I have never seen this type of animation!!

2 Likes

Interesting…very interesting! A new way to see what happened on that day!

I have to say that this sort of animation should be done for all flight crashes

3 Likes

Awesome report yet very sad at the same time. Hopefully all parties involved will take a lesson from this accident so we won’t happen again anytime in the future.

It’s just surprising how a small problem could turned a flight into a catastrophic accident. Hopefully this will also make airlines to be more careful and shouldn’t underestimate any problems.

And hopefully from this accident, there will be more transparency between aircraft manufacturer and airlines. Had Boeing told their airlines about this new feature, perhaps the pilots had the idea of why the plane plummetted down suddenly (With adequate training from the airline itself)

Really sad day for all Indonesians, including me (And coincidentally, happened during my birthday). Hopefully this lesson will teach some lessons to parties involved.

7 Likes

It is indeed very sad. I appreciate the way it lines out some thoughts/theories in what happened in this very sad event.

I think if in fact the stability system is what caused the pilots to fail to take control of the plane due to lack of education, I suspect that some major changes will come down the pipeline for how new pilots are trained and how airlines are integrated into older existing fleets. Especially in cases like these when this ‘new’ model seems so similar to an older more established model of the 737.

2 Likes

I doubt it. These pilots and most others worldwide of the B38M didn’t even know that the system even existed. It would be lack of education from Boeing if that’s what you were referring to.

Also, blame cannot solely be placed on Boeing, as Lion Air allowed the plane to fly again. It’s not like Lion Air just sent the aircraft back into service without doing anything. The mechanics thought they fixed the issue that caused the dive on the previous flight. However they didn’t know what the issue was because they again didn’t know the system existed. Each way, majority of the blame comes back on Boeing which it should. But don’t let the other factors go unnoticed.

2 Likes

I just seriously doubt that Boeing would deliver a product like the 737 MAX (which they were super proud of) with out giving instructions on HOW TO fly it. I am not saying you’re wrong, but that seems crazy. It would be like getting a new car without getting an owners manual. It doesn’t happen. Both the dealership and the car manufacturer would be negligent. Now did Lion Air not properly train before executing flights? Maybe? According to this report was there something wrong with the plane and it wasn’t fixed before take off, apparently. Did the pilots hop into this 737 and think this is just like the old one which they have likely flown many times, probably. It was likely a culmination of many of these factors. Which is often what you see in situations like these. It’s rarely ever just ONE event that causes a plane to go down. It’s a trickle down effect of multiple issues. The plane should have never left the grown in the first place.

2 Likes

They gave instructions on how to fly it. What they “allegedly” didn’t do was provide pilots with information on the MCAS system, that would automatically drop the nose to help recover a stall. Also what to do if the system malfunctioned, which did happen on the ill fated flight.

1 Like

Yeah, I still think it is crazy to think that this HOW TO/Manual wouldn’t have information regarding this system. Like my car manual tells me how to work every single aspect of my car. It’s how the manufacturer keeps liability out of their court. I would just think that a company like Boeing would issue information about every new detail to a plane. Including this system, as I imagine they would be very proud of this ‘new’ feature.

1 Like

That’s awesome!!! how did you find this?

It actually just popped up on my news feed. It is from about a month ago. It’s pretty cool though, the walkthrough is pretty clear on what they believe happened.

-J

Runaway stabiliser is one of the few failures which has memory items precisely because it needs prompt handling, and those memory items include moving both stab trim cutoff switches to the cutoff position.

It seems the runwaway stabiliser was neither recognised or addressed by the pilots - one question would be why that was the case. What was causing the uncommanded stabiliser trim movements (perhaps the MCAS in this case) would be reviewed once you have dealt with the fault itself.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.