LHR Runway Closure 01/03/17

Currently at LHR. Was walking to 27R to take some photos when there were 4 go arounds. Missed the incident but currently no aircraft inbound for 27R and it looks like a runway has just been checked. Closed for 20 mins or so.

Anyone got any info as to what is happening?

17 Likes

It appears many on twitter are asking the same question. Possibly debris may have been found on the runway as landings have now switched to 27L.

4 Likes

Two questions. Approximately how far were you from the runway? Is it legal with a permit or is it totally free (i.e. You don’t need a permit)?

1 Like

Nothing major going on from what I can tell.

1 Like

Looks like an debris report indeed. Relatively long closure as per for a major airport. Open again now.

May have some cool photos!

8 Likes

From what I can see on FR24 KL1021 (A 737-700) was the last plane to land before the 4 go-arounds.

1 Like

A fellow LHR spotter. Yay!

2 Likes

Incident report to whom? And share the pics?

1 Like

Hard landing and the flight crew was concerned that they left something behind? As they say, the engineers design the planes as unbreakable, the pilots see that as a challenge.

4 Likes

Looks like they were giving the runway a sweep after. Probably something so small as a plastic bag haha

9 Likes

The runway also does get checked periodically throughout the day by the yellow 4x4 vehicles you see driving around. It used to be the case that they would do this section by section in between landing and departing aircraft but this was changed within the last few years so now the controllers create a break in the arrival/departures stream and they do the whole runway in one go whilst the runway is kept clear.

Obviously the routine check only take a few minutes and what was seen wasn’t the routine runway check, but I thought it would be of interest as background.

3 Likes

You do spotting outside the airport boundary.

3 Likes

Well considering there are car rental places very close by and with major roads in close proximity too, it isn’t that difficult to plane spot though you would get some questioning looks just looking at planes in someone else’s car rental car park XD

If you look up in google maps you can see the runway (27R, 9L) is less than 200m away give or take.

2 Likes

That could have killed an engine

2 Likes

Damaged. Engines aren’t alive

7 Likes

Indeed. Should organise an LHR IF meet up.

5 Likes

Could be anything… maybe debris were found, maybe runway damage has been found… maybe the runway just can give more! I don’t know. I probabaly not the type of person that should be commenting on this… but, hey! Who cares!

We should, would be very fun.

1 Like

Maybe after trying to get on a flight to SFO (and failing), the mouse decided to visit the runway instead…

2 Likes

All I know is they’re scheduled to build a new runway at the south side of the airport, don’t know when it’s supposed to happen but Heathrow needs it!