LHardy64’s ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @ N/A

Welcome to LHardy64’s Thread!

I’m practicing to join IFATC!

*This is my first ATC tracking thread!

Please only use “Remaining in the Pattern” if you are planning on doing touch&goes/patterns! Otherwise, please use the “departing north, south, east, west" or "straight out” command.

Criticism Good or Bad are accepted!

CLOSED

Airport :

N/A

Server :
Training

Runways
N/A

7 Likes

I will most likely be opening KONT (my local international airport) and be landing runways 26L and 26R unless there are Santa Ana winds (If you live in the area you know what I’m talking about)

I will be opening KONT for hopefully around an hour If anyone wants to do pattern work to just regular departures!

1 Like

I’ll drop by.

1 Like

See you there!

why are there 2 of you? 😂

1 Like

Great question. Suhas might have something to do with that 👀

2 Likes

Thanks for stopping by! Do you have any criticism or advice? This is my first time opening an airport with a thread and I want to learn more!

Hey! I was IFC ToasterStroodie and D-4NNY I’m not sure why someone else copied my name, guess he wants to be like me. Weird but can’t blame him.

Anyways here’s my feedback!

Things to work on:

• Your clearances are a little late. I noticed it looks like you clear on base and sequence on downwind. You should try and sequence on crosswind and clear on downwind. ATC never keep secrets!

• When I asked for pushback, you told me to expect 26L but then told me to taxi to 26R.

• When you cleared me for the option you said “cleared for the option, after the option make right traffic”, which wasn’t necessary since you already cleared me for right traffic on takeoff.

• Exit runway commands should be given at 60-70 knots ideally, mine was at 25 knots.

• There was no need to tell me to maintain slowest practical speed as @IF787 was already rotating so there wasn’t an issue.

Good things:

• Although late, your sequencing was correct for me

• Good job lining up a departure to go after the arriving aircraft passed the threshold.

• Correct takeoff traffic command

Overall a pretty good session, thanks for the service! Hope to see you in IFATC soon 🙂

3 Likes

Hello! I was N473CC
I could only stay for one pattern unfortunately, but here is my feedback:

-I dont think the please expedite was necessary on takeoff, I was already rolling

-Slowest practical speed shouldn’t be used on short final, as the aircraft is already travelling at its final approach speed

-cleared for the option was late, try to give on late crosswind or early downwind (also no pattern direction needed)

-exit command was late, aim to give then at 70 knots for commerical aircraft

-good ground awareness

Overall not a bad session! Good job 🙂

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback, about the when I told you to expect 26L then told you to taxi to 26R that was a mistake on my part, sorry about that, I will work on the timings, and when I asked you to exit runway I was planning on issuing it earlier but I forgot to press send and I also another plane was on short final and a plane should not be landing while another is still on the runway. Thank you for stopping by! Hope to see you again!

2 Likes

Thank you for your feedback! I will work on the timings and improve on that, I must admit I did not expect the patterns to be that small! Sorry about the Expedite command I was starting to get worried about the timings and I was getting ready to issue a go around command just in case! Thank you for stopping by and for your feedback, it helps me improve and learn more about being ATC!

2 Likes

Anyway. Doppelgänger shenanigans aside, here’s my feedback.

1. The transition altitude given at 02:43:11Z was too high. The formula is airport elevation plus 2500ft. The 2500 is because props fly the pattern at 1000ft AAL, and jets fly them at 1500AAL, and you’d want a 1000ft separation barrier from the jets flying patterns. While you can give 500ft of separation to fulfill VFR separation rules, it’s recommended you give 1000ft of separation. Section 3.4.2 of the ATC Manual covers this.
  2. I called inbound, but I was only given a clearance at 02:44:14Z. Inbound aircraft when there is no radar present, inbound aircraft that were given Radar Vectors or Flight Following, and aircraft requesting a runway change must be given a pattern entry, an applicable sequence, and then a clearance. Inbounds are covered in Section 3.3 of the ATC Manual, as well as Section 3.6 of the ATC Manual.
  3. There was a late clearance for me at 02:51:19Z. I had to report my position to remind you that I wasn’t cleared at 02:50:52Z. Try to clear aircraft on late crosswind and/or early downwind. The sooner you get them sequenced and cleared, the less likely you are to forget about them. As Tyler says, “Don’t keep secrets.” You also gave me a redundant traffic direction. Since I was already in the pattern, I only needed a “Cleared for the option.” You’ll only include traffic direction if an aircraft is inbound for their first touch and go, or if they’ve been switched to a new runway, and this is their first clearance. Outside of those two scenarios, you simply clear for the option without a traffic direction. The same issue was present on the clearance for my doppelgänger, Suhas, at 02:51:27Z. The clearance was a bit late, and it had an unnecessary traffic direction, since he was already in the pattern and wasn’t changing runways. N473CC had the same problem at 02:53:43Z. Same for me at 02:54:00Z. Section 3.3.6 of the ATC Manual covers this.
  4. I wouldn’t recommend telling an aircraft to maintain slowest practical speed on final. If they can’t make it, just send them around. This was for D-4NNY at 02:51:52Z.
  5. Good sequencing for D-4NNY at 02:53:54Z. Also, good job clearing them to land at 02:54:15Z, since they reported full stop before you cleared them for the option. Note, however, that had you cleared them for the option before they reported full stop, you do NOT need to clear them to land again. Clearing for the option covers touch and goes, low passes, stop and goes, and full stops.
  6. For my runway change to 26R, I needed a pattern entry. Runway changes require pattern entries, as stated in bulletpoint number three. Section 3.3.3 and Section 3.3.4 of the ATC Manual covers runway changes. It’s recommended that you cross them to the downwind of their new runway when you give the pattern entry. So, for me, it would be “N426DM, enter right downwind 26R.” You can keep me on the left downwind, but if there’s no conflict that prevents me from crossing over to the right downwind, cross me over. Once traffic gets busy, you’ll get easily confused who is going where. Keep traffic on the left runway on the left downwind, and traffic on the right runway on the right downwind whenever possible. Note, however, if you’re met with a situation where an aircraft wants to change runways with someone next to them on the upwind, tell the one that wishes to change runways “extend upwind,” and once conflict is clear, cross them over.

You seem to have a solid understanding of sequencing and overall basics. A bit of brushing up on pattern entries will see a big improvement, as well as earlier clearances. Best of luck! Please don’t hesitate to PM me with any questions. I’d be glad to help out. Cheers!

3 Likes

Hey, I just got here cause I saw you being ATC at ONT. Look at planes by KFAT. @LHardy64

1 Like

Hey! I finally found you 😂

1 Like

lol. I’m flying from Concord to Burbank lol. I was wondering why there were so many planes at ONT, so I saw there was an ATC, and it was you so I got on here 😂

1 Like

Is there anyway you can maybe… open at KBUR?? I’m going to continue onto LAS after I land

1 Like

Ill think about it 😂

1 Like

Your ete is only 10 min…

1 Like

Well maybe everyone could do an Ameriflight flight from ONT to BUR in a Generic Dash 8 🤔 lol

1 Like