Let's talk about fake pilots licences or logging fake flight times

Back when I was a CFI and used to instruct in a “pilot mill” (place where we flew a lot students. Monthly incoming class was around 30-40 students) , I caught 11 young aspiring pilots in one month alone " pencil whip" (straight up log fake flight times).

For you aspiring pilots who plan to start lessons, have started or in route to get your 3rd or 4 licence I urge you not to do this. When you or your instructor sign your logbook at the end of your total entry and you sign you are stating that all logs are valid. It’s an honor code. FAA isn’t tracking and most instructors don’t bother to flip through 6-8 pgs back in your logbook. I do. I do beacuse if God forbid anything happens to you or the people you carry the FAA and the NTSB will come to me first.

The reason I bring is up is beacuse of the latest news regarding Pakistan International Airlines (PIA) pilots faked flight times, had someone else take tests for them just to name a few infractions. I’m essence flying with licences they themselves never earned.

Around 262 pilots have been suspended. Sadly, this is a very common practice in Asia unfortunately. No idea why, but that is the case.

So, I urge you not to do it. Please. Your whole career will be ruined. Flying is a privilege to be counted among the birds. All that money invested- gone! Not worth it in my opinion.

The following are some of the news reports on it:

Chase your dream.

74 Likes

I knew that instances like this occur, but I didn’t realize how frequent this was, especially in Asia.

I do have to say, props to you for being diligent and monitoring all your aspiring pilots. That is something that every trainer needs to have to ensure the safety of our skies. Well done!

15 Likes

Look, it might seem innocent at first, but this costed lives. The arrogant captain of Pakistan 8303 was considered “one of PIAs most experienced pilots”. Now that I have realized he was faking , I am mad. Lives are already being lost this year, and he just added to it. Let’s hope in the future, authorities will crack down on those who fake flight times.

6 Likes

Never knew this was actually a thing!

This is honestly shocking that people would do this. Like @USAairlines said, they’re putting lives at serious risk because of that. Aviation is not the industry to:

1. Be illegitimate of your experiences.

2. Be arrogant, living life on the edge and aviation do not mix.

3. Be lazy and not bother on putting in effort for your career, going too far will make you lack knowledge on what to do.

It breaks my heart that people would actually attempt to do this. It’s unprofessional and it’s life-threatening.

8 Likes

As a fellow pilot. I agree with what you do as checking the logbook far back. I would like to know how much experience my student has. Thanks for putting this out there

1 Like

Okay, this shocks me.
The aviation scene always claims to be one of the safest, but that’s so worse. Those „fake“ pilots are not only a danger for their passengers and crews, but also a threat to any of us.

1 Like

I am honestly surprised that someone would do that! Adding hours that you didn’t fly will like others said costs lives and it will make you miss out on experiences you might not have had. The logbook is like your resume and you should not tamper with it.

1 Like

Personally I enjoy every second I spend in the air in control of an aircraft and I don’t see why anyone in their right mind would want to fake their hours. Disgusting. A lack of training in such a high risk profession can only lead to disasters. Imagine if doctors did anything like this? How would that turn out for the world?

2 Likes

Well I’m sure you enjoy the experience, I assume I will too, but I don’t think anyone enjoys the money leaving there wallet, and I think far too many people have the wrong mentality of “wow this Cessna is fun, imagine what an Airbus will feel like.” Obviously the problem is that in trying to fast track the Cessna you create a lot of problems in the Airbus. I can understand why people would try to do this, but when you sign up to become a pilot you take on a lot of responsibility. Personally I really hope these people were kicked from the program or at the very least given a one time warning. Pilots have lots of responsibility obviously, and trying to pull something like this clearly shows you have little to no regard for that.

1 Like

Sometimes it’s out of desperation, maybe looking for a path to join an airline without doing the hard work. At the end, it’s very irresponsible and such an action puts many lives in danger.

Think about it, by having 1 in 3 pilots in Pakistan flying with forged credentials, it means that half of all aircraft in the Pakistani registry would have either 1 unqualified pilot or both pilots would be unqualified. Should we even call them pilots in the first place?

@Erj145 nice work you did there with regards to the 11 students.

4 Likes

I had no idea this even existed! But that doesn’t seem very safe… I also had no idea it was so common.

1 Like

The captain also kept on ignoring the ATCs warning to get lower when he was 4000 feet too high for the approach. All he said was, “I’m satisfied.” Yeah right, satisfied that he was going to be the cause of ~100 deaths.

2 Likes

Really well said. Thanks for the post!

2 Likes

One of my favorite stories goes something like this:

Commercial SEL applicant is on his check ride. The applicant sits down with the DPE and they start reviewing his logbook. The DPE notices a few interesting entries documenting various flights out of the airport. What caught the DPE’s eye was the N number, because it was his personal aircraft’s N number.

The applicant had been sticking around the airport before/after lessons and watching aircraft in the pattern, and would occasionally log THOSE flights as his own to inflate his own numbers. Unwittingly, he made the mistake of logging the DPE’s N number a handful of times, as the DPE was based at that field. What started as laziness turned into a federal offense, as the applicant was falsifying a federal document.

Moral of the story, you WILL be caught. Best to just be truthful, or at least be smarter if you’re going to be a moron.

6 Likes

You are very correct.

2 Likes

smh…

2 Likes

This is a very cool post! Thanks for this!

Bruh. That’s surprising!

1 Like

No, it isn’t.

You just have to look at the countries that do in Asia. Malaysia (in some cases), India, Pakistan, etc.

Basically never would see anything happen like this in developed places such as Hong Kong and Singapore if you know what I mean.

3 Likes

@Vinne You kinda beat me to it, but I would like to expand on that.

You don’t really hear about these incidents in developed Asian countries like South Korea, PRC, or Japan either, do you? Even in Japan, with their occasional drinking problems, these things don’t happen.

4 Likes

See I understand the problem of money but regardless of the aircraft once you love what it is you’re doing you should want to enjoy every stage of it. Is that the case with everyone? No. But should you proceed to act out of desperation to fast track your life? Definitely not. Shortcuts often have terrible repercussions.

1 Like