- I often need my device for other things during the day, so I’m unable to fly longer distances, but would love to be able to.
- Running Infinite Flight on your device is very performance intensive so by running your device for a long period of time, it can degrade your device’s battery health, screen burn, among other things
- Crashes while flying at cruise can happen for some
- Not everyone has a device dedicated only for Infinite Flight
- Leaving your device overnight can be problematic
- You occasionally need your device for a short period of time but can’t because you have a flight open
Yes, I am aware of operating system constraints when it comes to having apps run in the background, but it would be very cool if there was a way, only while you are at cruise, where you could “leave your flight” completely to later reconnect whenever you want, without having Infinite Flight run in the background. So the app could be closed.
The flight could be saved to your account and a ghost plane would continue flying for you at the autopilot settings you had set, as if you had the flight open. Then, once you “leave the flight” the app would turn into a flight tracker and track your flight, live.
Similar to how LiveFlight or any flight tracker tracks your flight, the app would show your altitude, speed, location, weather info, etc. Then maybe add in the auto-pilot configuration and flight plan you have set.
You could receive the following notifications once you have “left your flight”, from the Infinite Flight app.
- On guards from an ATC frequency
- Distance to destination
- Almost time to descend
- VNAV changes
- 30/60 minute updates (altitude, speed, nearest city, distance to destination etc.)
Then, at any time, you could press a button in the menu whenever you want and hop back into the flight, taking over for the ghost plane.
This would only be available when you are at cruising altitude for obvious reasons. You would knowingly be taking on the risks of violations because you are not present in the same way you would if you were in control, but this could create more accessibility.
A side effect of this might also be that there would be more people in the skies at one time because it could open the opportunity for those who wouldn’t be able to fly normally.
I would have a flight running all year 24/7.
Whip out the iPhone 13 at home in the morning, takeoff, climb to cruise, leave your flight and drive to the grocery store. Friend goes in to get some snacks, you’re sat in the parking lot, nothing to do, “let me check on my flight. Oooo! I’m flying over Tahiti”. You “Enter your flight” hop in for the ghost plane to check out Tahiti because it’s pretty, friend comes back with the chips and guac, gotta get driving again. “Leave your flight” again to drive back home. Get home, Infinite Flight gives you a notification that it’s almost time to descend as you enter the door. Get back into the app, “Enter the flight” again, descend down and land. School, work, mobile, carry your passion, you get the idea.