Learning Question

Good Day. This is not a rant. I would like to know the correct procedures for the following scenario. If I am controlling Tower and a pilot instead of holding at the short hold line just decides to line up and then ask me for takeoff clearance, Do I just clear them or do I respond with “you are not cleared to enter the runway”? Thank you.

So you would respond with you are not cleared and ask them to exit the runway. You would also have to ask the landing aircraft to go around if there is one

2 Likes

Ask them to expedite as there is traffic on final. It can be a missive inconvenience

I see. Thank you for that answer. I did the right thing then this morning controlling at eham. It seems that everyone just lined up and then asked, but I wouldnt clear them.

On expert we warn and ghost.

The “you were not cleared to enter the runway” is the best choice. Most people will just take off because they don’t actually think about exiting the runway. If theres a line of people then get them off the ground so you can focus on people paying attention.

6 Likes

You can also say “please follow instructions” after doing what the others have mentioned. Might give him an idea that he isn’t doing the correct thing.

1 Like

One more question. If I’m doing tower and a pilot ask for a red runway but i want to send them to a green or yellow, Is there a way to relay to that pilot that that runway is not the preferred runway or do i just give them pattern instructions for the runway i would like them to use?

Just do what @Chris_S said and give him a warning.

Just reply again and again with the correct runway.

Pilot asks for red
Tower - Taxi to green
Pilot asks for red
Tower - taxi to green
tower - please follow instructions

6 Likes

Thank you all for the support. I want to provide the bezt ATC I can. These suggestions will help me do just that.

5 Likes

I guess he is asking about an inbound plane requesting for a landing on red runway

Correct me if I’m wrong

1 Like

Even then I just continue to give the runway I want them to go to. If they dont, then I give it again and a follow instructions. Not much you can do beyond that.

You are in control of your airspace. If someone is ignoring the runway, not cleared to land, and land anyways I would just hold departures until its clear and then resume. Its annoying but not really anything else to do. (Other than join IFATC, shameless plug)

6 Likes

If you have two parallel runways my advice is to use one for landing and one for takeoff. That way the only time you should have collisions is if someone is landing or taking off on the wrong runway, on training server that happens. Usually a pilot does a Go Around if they see the traffic but some will attempt a landing over the aircraft.

1 Like

I do wonder if there needs to be a specific call that you can give out, like “That runway is not in use, please follow instructions”, both for aircraft on the ground and those inbound.

So takeoff tailwind…landing headwind???

If your runway pairs are 09L/27R and 09R/27L, and the wind is 270 at 8kts, then you operate take-offs from one of 27R/L and landings on the other. Both take-off and landings will have a headwind.

1 Like

Hopefully this helps :-)

Good evening. In the most simplest term…What does departure atc do…and how is it different than approach? Thank you

Someone can correct me if I’m wrong, but the departure ATC is what you connect to after you takeoff from the runway, the ATC should give you instructions to contact Departure, and in departure you request for flight followings, ILS approaches, etc.

Im talking about if i am departue atc…what is my function…and how is it different than if im doing atc approach…