Last MD-11F Flight With Lufthansa Cargo (D-ALCE)

After more than 20 years Lufthansa Cargo has retired one of their MD-11F. D-ALCE was built in 1998 and has been flying with the company ever since. The aircraft has been sold according to the company. it’s last flight flew from Frankfurt Germany to Victorville California.

35 Likes

That deserves an F in the chat. Seriously though R.I.P. I’ll miss seeing her in the skies

4 Likes

That’s really too bad. Was a beautiful bird. Sad they won’t be flying anymore 😭

Wanted to do Frankfurt-Quito…

5 Likes

When I saw this post my mouth literally dropped to the floor…

So sad to see an amazing plane go…

4 Likes

Oh man, that’s tuff. Must’ve been real hard for the pilots to just walk away forever, ya know? That plane must mean so much to them. I would be devastated. Man, I feel for them. ☹️ Also what would happen to those pilots? They are Lufthansa pilots stuck in Victorville! Would they retire tho? Bcs their aircraft is gone? So would they like get to LAX or SFO or whatever and fly back to Frankfurt? I wonder…

1 Like

Huh? I just saw a Lufthansa MD-11F land at LAX today.

No way, this can’t be true :( I always see these at VHHH, ever since I first had a passion for aviation - back in 2013.

Huh weird - According to their official press released they’ve retired their MD11

1 Like

I still see these flying around. When will it happen (the final flight)?

Hmmm… I see a bunch on FR24… maybe this was their oldest one and they have retired it…?

Think it’s D-ALCE’s last flight

3 Likes

Yep! It was D-ALCE’s last flight sorry folks fixed the title!

1 Like

Phew! I wasn’t ready to handle the loss of the Lufthansa Cargo MD11. Glad they’re not all leaving the skies quite yet!

2 Likes

Fixed the Title and story! lol

1 Like

There are currently 4 LH Cargo MD-11Fs on radar:

D-ALCH: ORD-DFW LH8200
D-ALCF: FRA-OVB LH8390
D-ALCC: NBO-FRA LH8297
D-ALCK: FRA-BLR LH8456

1 Like

Sweet! Glad see four still flying!

This is so sad. I will miss seeing this beautiful bird in the skies.

Here is some of DLVA paying respects. (@DEN_Airport)

19 Likes

That nearly tore me to pieces, thank goodness that it was just mishap of the title. :) But may D-ALCE rest in peace.

5 Likes

I was gonna say, they just repainted one or two, so I don’t think there fully gone just yet…

Lufthansa actually plans to phase out all MD-11 in 2020, 5 years earlier then planned before. Carsten Spohr, CEO of Lufthansa Group, wants to reduce the long range aircraft fleet mix that we actually have :
A330,A340-300/-600,A350,A380,B747-400/-8,B767,B777,MD11

This part below may now be Off Topic, I just thought it might be interesting, however I can remove the content below, just let me know.

Future fleet will look like this :

Lufthansa: A330,A350,A380***,B747-8****,B777-9,B787-9
Lufthansa Cargo: B777F
Austrian: B787-9
Swiss: B777-300, A340-300**
Brussels Airlines: A330
Eurowings: -

So these aircraft will leave the long range fleet:

A340-300, A340-600, B767, B747-400*, MD-11

*B747-400 : Planned retirement was 2025, but they could stay a little longer, depending on the delay of our new 777-9 which will not enter service before 2021 due to the actual engine problems and therefore no first flight anymore in 2019 ),

**Swiss A340-300: They will stay for another 5 years and all get a new cabin, then will leave the fleet, no replacement planned so far, rumors say it could be 787, but again: Nothing confirmed as of now )

***A380: Fleet size will be reduced from now 14 to 8 until 2022

****B747-8: Will stay in the fleet, no retirement planned, before 2030-2035

5 Likes