Landings...

Hi guys, I decided to open this topic because I’m really frustrated and I would love if someone could help me. I already have IF for a long time and I have been learning the game since I bought it. I love all about it but I have a big problem, and that problem is: LANDINGS. I can do al about a flight really well but when it comes to landings I cannot manage to do it well… I never do a good full flight because I can’t land my airplane. And I have already seen some videos on YouTube etc but the problem is still alive. Sometimes I am not aligned with the runway (and I don’t know how to do it even with the flight plan on, in the right heading) or I am too slow or too fast or too high or too low… I would really appreciate if someone could help me in any way please it would be really nice, because I actually love aviation and IF! Thank you guys

You can as well pm me about this if it’s easier for you

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

I usually use small airplanes as the Boeing 737-800 and the Boeing 757-200 and I fly in Live mode

Two things;

Keep the little circle inside your HUD pointed at the beginning of the runway. The little circle tells you where your plane is going.

Keep your plane level (no greater than a 3 degree pitch up) by keeping your altitude indicator level to your horizon. If you start pitching up more than 2 degrees you will need to increase your speed or your flaps. 145kt approach speed for a 33% loaded 737-800 is a good start.

While weight, flaps, aircraft and winds change; keeping the plane level is a constant you control and able to apply to any aircraft, any condition.

The best advice for the 737 (and in some cases, all aircraft)

1. Start you descent early, and get yourself slowed down. Under 10,000ft, get yourself well under 250knots IAS. From around 6,000ft I’m generally at or below 210knots and starting to deploy flaps as I continually slow down.

2. To practice, get yourself on a long final. Start getting the aircraft configured for landing early. Find an airport with an ILS runway (red cone). Have your flight plan set so it lines you up with the runway / cone. Your last leg of the flight plan should be at a heading within 30 degrees of the final runway heading. This will help prevent you from overshooting the final heading and help you line up.

3. Have your autopilot set, and get your aircraft to be configured at 3000feet, around 180 knots when your hitting the start of the red cone. I’m assuming you know to keep the vertical and horizontal ILS needles centred for a ‘perfect’ approach. As you hit the glideslope and the vertical needle started to drop downwards past the centre, use autopilot and now make your altitude 500 feet, and your vertical speed around 700-800feet per min. Continue to slow the aircraft and deploy flaps and gear. Once you have the aircraft properly configured (737) - approach speed around 135knots, full flaps (I use full, some people don’t) gear down, vertical speed 700 feet per min, disengage the autopilot. You want to disengage early so you get a feel for the aircraft. Everyone wants to fly it right down to the runway on autopilot and disengage at the last second, that’s a very bad habit. Get yourself in control early and guide it down. Having the aircraft configured early, before you disengage autopilot will mean when you do disengage, the aircraft is already in its sweet spot when you take over, meaning you won’t have to fight it down. The 737 will need around 50-60% throttle, keeping its nose up a few degrees, full flaps and 135knots. Don’t be scared to go slow, it won’t start to stall in IF until under 120 knots.

4. Fly everything manually, no autothrottle, no heading, NOTHING. Manage your rate of descent with the throttle, not the pitch (nose). Keep the nose up, and use small 2-3% adjustments on the throttle to control your rate of descent. Use small, smooth bank angles, don’t overturn if your slightly off centre of the runway, you’ll end up just making big ‘S’ shapes all the way down. Very very small 1-2 degree banks, and start to re-correct early.

5. Get in an early flare - don’t be scared to touch down late. You shouldn’t be landing on the threshold (big white lines) at the start of the runway.

If are sure that you are not too high/low, or too fast/slow, the only thing you need to do is the flare.
Flare starts at 30 ft AGL: pull your device up until max 4° pitch attitude (for the narrow bodies) at the moment of touchdown, cutting the throttles at 10 ft.

This is a screenshot I took 2 ft above the ground at KLAX’s 24R, it shows a usual B77W landing, but the 737 and the 757 look the same:

If you want to practice in the right way turn the A/P completely OFF.

The threshold are the zebra stripes look like markings.

Got this from someone:

Got this from someone

Calculating top cruise altitude:
Formula: Total Route Distance / 2
Subtract 10 from Ans
Divide by 3
Multiply by 1000
Example: TRD: 200nm/2 = 100nm
100nm - 10 = 90nm
90nm / 3 = 30
30 x 1000 = 30,000ft
So cruise at any altitude at or lower than FL300.

Calculating top of descent distance:
Formula: Cruise Altitude / 1000
Multiply by 3
Add 10 (optional)
Example: 30,000 / 1000 = 30
30 x 3 = 90
90 + 10 = 100
Start descent at 100nm out. This provides enough time to descend incrementally and level off at a reasonable speed.
Calculating VS:

Formula: Ground Speed x 5
Add 100 (optional)
For descent: Ans x -1
Example: 500 x 5 = 2500
2500 + 100 = 2600
2600 x -1 = -2600

How to compute the TOD (Top of Descent) - Thumb rule
total Novice, no clue! help...

How I learned to land:

1. Learn your landing speeds. Too fast and you will bounce but too slow and you will crash.
  2. Make a flight plan to be centred along the middle of the localiser.
  3. Ensure you are at 3000ft (for most places) at the start of the ILS
  4. At first, let the AP control speed and heading until you can see the RW. Control everything else yourself.
  5. Land! (Hopefully) :-P

@TAP_Portugal34… Mitch’s guidance: The Right Stuff"… Copy/Print this Tap. Review it, repeat the sequence over and over doing touch & goes at a remote field. When you do it like this consistently you’ll be able to master all the Trash Haulers in the inventory once you look up there “V’s”… and adjust for weight & balance. Good Luck. Max Sends

In infinite flight, when I come down from FL 350(35,000 ft.), I let my aircraft 1600-2000 ft/min. If I want to descent a total of 35000ft, I start my descent from about about 105 nm out(3*my altitude/1000). You can use spoilers to slow down and descend faster in infinite flight but usually in real world aviation, since they eat up more fuel, they’re not used unless needed. Once I get below 10000 ft, I try to slow down my airspeed so that I can land. Everytime my angle of attack(difference in the angle the nose makes and the angle the aircraft is traveling) gets too high, I use the flaps to increase my life(decrease angle of attack) so that I don’t stall. As someone stated earlier, a 3 degree pitch is a great reference point, but smaller aircrafts may have larger pitch angles. Infinite flight does a really fantastic job in keeping real reference speeds with aircrafts, so if you search online for the reference speed or approach speed for a certain aircraft, you can mimic it in Infinite Flight. And always land nose up! Hope that helps

Yes rotate is correct angle of attack refers to the angle of the cord line of the wing

With autoland with the 737-700BBJ:

• airplane load: 50%
  • descent to 3000 feet
  • do not exceet 200 knots
  • choose the Runway you want to land
  • press on ‘appr’
  • after touchdown on the runway, 'Brakes will automatic on and your plane brakes very fast. ’ press on ‘brakes’ and your plane will brake slower.

Make sure you fly to the Beginning of the localizer.
Make sure your speed is 140 knots during the final approach to the runway.
And don’t forget the flaps and landing gear!

It’s not that hard ;)

closed #18