Landings on ATL 27R/9L?

So, ATL’s 27R/9L is only used for departures, but there are touchdown marks on it. Can’t find any videos on YouTube of a 27R/9L landing. Can someone explain?

3 Likes

What do you mean by touchdown marks? Do you mean the black in the center of the runway?

3 Likes

Yes, there are some.

1 Like

this could be from testing,takeoffs or wear and tare on the runway.

The black is just rubber coming off the tires. Rubber comes off of the tires even on takeoff, just not as much so the runway isn’t “blacker” than landing runways

Makes sense. This can be closed.

1 Like

Wait I have found something!

Look this:

Every runway has touchdown marks. Because while that is the typical use of the runway any runway can be used for takeoffs or landings. For example at Pittsburgh they usually take off on runway 28R, and land L, but there was maintenance on Left, so they totals switched it up, and took off on 28C, and landed on R. It varies, so any runway can handle takeoffs, and landings.

The rubber shouldn’t really come off on takeoff, the rubber coming off is because either some breaks were engaged, or when the plane is landing the tires get slammed into the ground, and have to almost instantaneously go from still, to spinning over 100 mph, so they skid a bit. The same doesn’t happen on takeoff…

2 Likes

Really? I thought that rubber still came off because of tire wear but I guess not. Thanks for correcting me

2 Likes

I mean maby an aborted takeoff, and I guess a small amount naturally wears off when you go that fast, but those big black streaks are exclusively from landings. 😁

2 Likes

Yes I think so too!
Look at the video, there are some landings through RWY 27R
The enigma is solved

1 Like

Alright, let me bring my Atlanta knowledge into this. Yes, some runways are usually used for just departures or take offs, however, that is not always the case. I have actually taken off from RWY10 before which is normally used for arrivals. I have seen planes landing on these runways before. Sometimes a certain circumstance will cause things like this to happen. Sometimes if a student pilot is trying to get some experience, they can also takeoff and land from runways not usually used for that so they don’t slow down the traffic flow

I agree and I think this one also

1 Like

Search YouTube runway rubber removal

Closed at OP request.