Landing

Ok, so I am still a grade 1 “pilot” and I need help/advice/tips. Probably 75% of my flights are in a fighter, (usually F-14, sometimes F-22). Now, I am frantically trying to move to grade 2 then 3. I want to fly with the big boys. My issue is, every single solitary time I land, it ends with disaster. I’m not trying to sound arrogant or anything so please don’t think that but I am at 140-150 knots, glide slope is spot on, angle is perfect. I always, always, always touch down, bounce way the heck back up, come down and roll right off the runway into the weeds.

2 Likes

You’ll be able to fix the plane bouncing up in the air by flaring and pitching back on the yoke around 10-30 feet off of the ground. Also if you end up bouncing a ton, just make a go around and try landing again.

Good luck and hope this helps!

• Brennan
1 Like

I’d say, the trick is to make sure you always have your thumb on the rudder before touchdown so you can make last minute adjustments when you touchdown concerning your heading. Hopefully that solves the “roll right off the runway into the weeds” issue.

About the bouncing, since we don’t have a replay provided by you (not saying you should have, don’t worry you haven’t done anything wrong!) us as mere forum members can do little to pinpoint the source of the issue you’re experiencing. However, one thing to make sure of (especially on smaller planes) is that both rear landing gear (assuming you’re using an aircraft with a trike / tricycle gear arrangement) touch the ground at pretty much the exact same time. this should prevent a bit of the bouncing.

Happy Landings and welcome to the forums!

Although your puppy is very cute, what is the photo for?

There are plenty of landing tutorials on the Infinite Flight YouTube page for you to check out! They are very helpful.

2 Likes

You might want to slow it down a bit there. Im not well versed in the aircraft you fly but saying that you’re bouncing tell me that your coming in a little hot.

1 Like

Maybe try calibrating Infinite Flight before landing. I usually do this at around 5 nm out.
You could also try flying a bit slower, maybe at 135 knots and use flaps 30°

Welcome to the IFC!

Little suggestion, start by flying the A318, it is small enough to get into almost any Commercial airport, plus it is extremely stable and forgiving.
My recommendation would be to find a nice long runway somewhere quiet and just practice your takeoff and landings. KCOS (Colorado Springs) or EGNX (East midlands) are two nice open airports to practice at.
But first go on solo and just practice short final approaches: your Vref (landing speed) should be about 135Knts and full flaps. As you approach the runway you should try to hear the 50 foot call as you pass the start of the runway. At 30-20 feet you will want to “retard” your thrust levers, meaning quickly bring it to idle. Aim to have the FPV (the little circle on the HUD that shows where you are going) aimed at the touchdown zone of the runway, and as you hear “30…20…10…” bring back your throttles and slowly pull up your nose. As you hear the 10 ft callout your FPV should be pointed near the opposite end of the runway, with your nose a few degrees above the horizon.
The last 10 feet is the most crucial part of the landing, ground effect acts as a cushion and slows your sink rate, but if you are too fast or flare (pull up the nose) too much you may get caught in a float. But assuming you are on pitch, on speed, and have your descent rate
Under control, the last couple of seconds is just about flying the plane onto the runway. You mentioned that you were having a problem with bouncing, and that is most likely 1 of 3 problems, you touch down with the nosewheel first (very easily remedied, slow down a little) 2. You do not have ground spoilers armed, arming them causes them to deploy when you touch down, and they reduce lift and slow you down using drag (fixed by confirming spoilers armed before landing) Or lastly you may just be touching down hard, for that I recommend giving fighters a break until you have mastered a basic landing technique. The A318 is great because it is super easy to fly and you can use that technique on so many other planes. Don’t take it personally, I have been flying on Infinite flight for nearly 3 years and still have not figured out a way to get nice landings in a fighter. With all that being said, the key to nailing those landings is experience, knowing how the plane reacts, knowing what it does and does not like etc… so just spend some time just trying to get nice firm touchdowns (in the touchdown zone most importantly) and once you feel comfortable, then you can work on trying to get it smoother, landing with wind, shorter runways.
Once you start feeling comfortable flying in solo and doing patterns in causal, then the world is your oyster, go out and explore it, fly to new places, learn procedures, learn new planes, ask questions!
Anyways there is my essay on “landing 101”
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions about anything!
Enjoy Infinite flight!

5 Likes

Agree with jet_centric, its probably best that you try a small aircraft first before moving to the bigger ones. If you’re really interested in just the fighter part, I’d recommend try approaching with your spoilers on flight around 5 miles from the runway. When you touchdown, put the spoilers to armed. I usually do this on my F-16 and it works with an approach speed of about 150/160 kts.

3 Likes

Try a small aircraft first. Use APPR mode under the following circumstances:

Your plane is not overweight
Your plane is under 200 kts (recommended speed of 180 kts)

APPR mode will only work under those circumstances; check your load before trying to enable APPR mode.

Enable approach mode immediately after entering the cone (APPR works on GPS and ILS approaches; red cone equals ILS and GPS, while gray come equals GPS only).

Slow down to 140 kts if possible and engage thrust reverser until you reach 60 kts; we want you to butter it and exit the runway immediately so somebody else can land.

Exit the runway and taxi as normal.

If approach conditions are bad, you can go around or divert; don’t try an approach if conditions are not hospitable.

When you feel good with an approach, then quit using APPR and try a visual approach; it’s hard, but you can do it.

Don’t worry, with some simple observations, you can butter it every time!

1 Like

The Bounce

About the bounce after landing: it can happen in some cases, but you should really try to avoid it, for example if a wind gust bursts you down onto the ground, if you fail to flare, or if you do a tricycle landing.
In real life you shouldn’t underestimate the danger of the bounce. You’re most likely too slow to fly, meaning you’ll stall into the ground if you pitch up. It’s very important to gently handle the yoke and never pull up because it’s intuition. Increase throttle and go around or land again if the rwy length fits. And always keep in mind: the ailerons react mich slower at low speeds.

1 Like

Oh right, that makes perfect sense. I never took that into consideration, I’ve only played the really cheesy apps that call themselves SIM. Infinite Flight is soo much more and I’m so hooked on it. This is the most insanely accurate depiction of really flying I’d imagine. I am trying to unlearn everything from this other games.

Thank you for taking the time

John

Kylodell

G

1 Like

Gosh thank you so much for this email. You taught me more in 5 minutes than I’ve learned in 2 weeks since subscribing to IF. I’m so unbelievably hooked on this sim it’s crazy. I’ve not used the AAPR function yet because I had no idea what all the options were. Now I know so I’m going to try them. Is the AAPR only available on the bigger jets? I can’t do it with the fighter jets.

1 Like

Lift your nose when 10 ft over the runways then reduce throttle so you glide nicely down

Hi @Kylodell,
Welcome to the community! It’s all about practice man, obviously, the fighter jets are fast and easily manoeuvrable (hence making them easier to fly). Referring to your landing/glideslope speed, every aircraft is different and has different landing speeds, you might also want to take into account your flaps, wind and weight, this plays a vital factor in the success of your landing. Practice makes perfect! If you’re still having trouble I’d have a quick look on a few tutorials.
Tutorials may be found here: https://community.infiniteflight.com/c/tutorials/flight
Thanks for posting, we look forward to seeing you in the skies soon!
All the best,

Luke ;)

I would like to specially refer to the bounce issue.
I personally have a solution to this. If you have an APPR supported aircraft, use APPR until 1000 ft above the runway elevation, then disengage APPR and adjust the aircraft slightly below the glide slope, in this way, you will be able to have a longer amount of time to flare the aircraft, making the landing look smoother.

Thank you. It’s available on all larger aircraft except for the ERJ series and the Boeing 747-200, 747-400, A380-800, A340-600, and Boeing 767-300.

All other aircraft except for the smaller aircraft and the larger military aircraft (the Lockheed C series) (the MD11 and DC-10 Tankers have APPR) have APPR mode.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.