Landing w/ Cockpit View

I always use the cockpit view. I do switch around during the flight, to get a look from different perspectives when in the air with the AP on, but for most of taxiing, taking off, most of the flight, pattern work, landing and then most of taxiing to parking. I suppose you just get used to the view you use. Occasionally, if there are landing competitions, (if it’s not windy) I’ll lock heading with AP on final get to about 80-100ft and then switch to external view to really precisely place the wheels on the runway.

I did actually think of trying something today: landing with the HUD hidden - from the cockpit, it is a true visual approach and landing. It is tricky to do though. Especially in wind. Not recommended for people who aren’t prepared to embarrass themselves in a ‘smash-down’ onto the runway, or out-right crash! :P

Yah, same. A true visual approach! (minus instruments :/)

I always use cockpit view for more realistic details

If it is a new aircraft I’m using, I would use bottom view for landing so I can see how accurate I am but the hud and cockpit view are the only ones that give altitude callouts. Bottom view does have tire screech though.

That´s why we have Solo! We can crash as many times as we want without embarrassment.

3 Likes

I always land & take off in cockpit view.
If the visibility is good enough to see the PAPIs, I turn the HUD off.
My HUD is permanently off during taxi, takeoff and cruise.

I’m a cockpit view person also since I want as realistic an experience possible and like others I have started trying to land without the HUD when visibility permits.

Cockpit, HUD off. Always.

1 Like

what about when its foggy?

1 Like

Asking me?

1 Like

cockpit view and HUD off most of the time. low vis HUD is on.

1 Like

I tried the cockpit view for landing the other day and found it quite hard. I have only been flying for 3 weeks and so still trying to get good. I use Hud a lot and find it helps me with my landings

1 Like

Cockpit always

1 Like

yep, sorry lol

1 Like

I always try to use cockpit, but I usually crash land like that 😂😂. I like to use a view where I can see my landings from the outside!

1 Like

I normally use cockpit view with HUD for everything HOWEVER I just tried a landing with no papi’s at st.maarten using only cockpit view with no Hud at all. Just speed and alt read outs at the bottoms of my screen and it was one of the smoothest landings I’ve ever done and dead center . I may stop using the HUD for landings now.

1 Like

I’ve been using the cockpit view + HUD 1 since a month now.

1 Like

I always use cockpit view

1 Like

I fly in cockpit view and do my approaches with it as well, and even though I can land in with the cockpit view, I land with bottom view because it makes the landing smoother, and use normal/left/tower view for takeoffs, just because I like the way it looks on rotation.

1 Like