Landing using ILS

Hi guys,

Everytime I am trying to land I use the ILS for the runway. But in the circle in the middle. When I’m in the localiser I can never align perfectly I’m always off and I am getting frustrated. Please help me.

Thank you.

That means either you’re going to fast or you didn’t catch it properly. Maybe you just set NAV1 and didn’t hit APPR, which almost always results in an offset localizer.

There are several factors at hand here.

Hi there,

I don’t really like using APPR as I like full control on the plane.

You can never rlly align it perfectly. You have to account for the winds blowing left and right. I find that the ILS aligning your left and right isn’t really accurate. It’s better to use your FPV in the HUD view then the ILS vertical for the glide slope

I use it in the HUD but I am always completely off the runway.

especially during winds, you have to use AARP mode to line up with the localizer and capture the glide slope.

NAV1 nor RNAV will not line up for any given arrival RNAV or LOC/ILS approach or you can hand fly 12 miles out.

You can still hand fly from 7 miles out by turning off AP.

I don’t like using it because it can be jerky and arrupt but it lines you up like what I’ve seen on YouTube

on a side note, EVERY automatic flight profile and command in IF is like chewing on last years salted jerky and bacon

Few tips I can give you based on how we do it in the real world, but I think the number one factor will be more practice. It isn’t an easy thing to do.

Starting at the beginning don’t have a dramatic intercept angle, in the real word we try to make intercepts about 30 degrees. A helpful acronym to remember that is LARS 30. Left Add, Right Subtract 30. So you know the approximate runway heading based on the number (irl we have a more precise heading from the approach plate) and you know the direction you are coming from so it is fairly easy from there. Let’s say you are approaching runway 28 and are on a sort of left base. This means you need to add (left add) and you are starting with 28. So your intercept should be at approximately a 310 heading. If your intercept angle is significantly more than that you will likely overshoot and start a cycle of large corrections overshooting and needing to correct again. This leads into tip number two.

Small corrections. Don’t make big turns, unless you are way off (like getting into full scale deflection territory) then keep the changes small, just a few degrees in that direction. If your corrections are too large then you will just sail right through the center of the course and have to make a big turn back the other way. Also be cognizant of the fact that the approach course narrows. Far from the runway a larger turn may be needed (still just a few degrees) but as you get very close it is only very small corrections that are needed. At the runway threshold the difference between centered and all the way off the indicator (called the CDI) should be less than 400 feet.

Also honorable mention that it is worth knowing the more exact runway heading if you can, that gives you a better target to aim for, but you will still need to correct for winds and other factors. Flying the runway heading exactly will rarely if ever keep you right on the center.

1 Like

The biggest problem I see, which doesn’t matter if you are an RNAV arrival and approach and no matter how yoU engage AARP because that’s the only way to computer navigate its always a bull in a China shop that the aircraft will radically change pitch and never mind on turning on the localizer to make ya wanna puke like eating a whole pizza then running 10k

1 Like

Yeah APPR can be a little rough sometimes. One way around that is to manually set it up then use APPR if desired, but that can be hard of course.

Airbus:
Select 210 KTS before the last 25 NM. You have to reach 210 KTS before the last 15 NM (you can use SPEED BRAKES).
Active APPR / AP1 / AP2 / MCDU Activate Approach Phase. Select your AUTO BRAKE (LO/MED).
Interception of the Localizer, select 180 KTS, FLAPS 1.
About the last 8 NM, select 160 KTS FLAPS 2.
At 6 NM (2000 ft AGL), managed speed (or select 140 KTS, probably 135 KTS), GEAR DOWN, SPOILERS ARM, FLAPS 3 and FULL.
Landing check list: NO BLUE.
///
The A/P can be disengage (or not) from 5000 ft (clear weather) to land. No disengagement means autoland so in that case the minimum height (RADIO) can be 100 ft, otherwise you have to define a minimum decision altitude (BARO).
With A/P OFF you can use max SPEED BRAKES, otherwise it is limited to 1/2.
///
Glide Slope is caught after the Localizer at 3000/4000ft (where you can start the FLAPS 2 sequence) or at 2000ft (where you start the GEAR DOWN sequence, often in USA).
///
In a second time you can also disengage A/THR after the A/P, but you have to manage yourself the throttle. To do it, reduce Throttle from CL to the same position of the N1 Thrust needdle (there’s a little circle as mark in this Quadrant), and immediately push A/THR OFF.

What I tend to do is pretty realistic to IRL when I’m flying an ILS approach.

Key: AAL: Above Airport Altitude

• Make sure that I’m at level flight, below the glide-slope and at a stable speed when I engage APPR - this prevents the A/P doing unrealistic manoeuvres to incept the localiser & glide slope.

• I put GEAR DOWN at 2500ft AAL

• I ensure that I am at landing configuration by 1000ft AAL

• At 1000ft AAL I disengage A/P and fly manually

• If visibility warrants it, I don’t disable A/P until I see the runway.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.